Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight-to-constant counter-steering!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Slight-to-constant counter-steering!!!

I am having a problem since I did my lift on my XJ. I have 5", 31" tires (gasp....LOL, it actually looks good in my opinion). I have replaced my draglink (new Moog one), and did the Grand Cherokee tie rod, sleeve, and TRE (new Duralast).

What are some of the things I need to look at that causes the need to couter steer more than "normal"?

On the highway, I don't have to counter steer too much at all. It may be perfect on the highway, but once it's in my head....who knows. If it helps, it seems it counter steers less on grooved highway roads. It tends to "track" better I think.

Around town though, It's always me thinking "why am I having to consciously think so hard about countersteering".

Heard another CF memeber talk about TRE binding???? Does anyone have a picture of a binded TRE so I can compare it to mine? Thanks.

Last edited by Vincenza V; 12-07-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Maybe a stupid question, but have you got it aligned since your latest front end work?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Drop pitman arm?

What I'm thinking, i have similar issues, is that your steering angles are extreme and stock Y steering blows. The farther from horizontal your drag link is, the more wandering the vehicle does. Best solution would be OTK steering, lower pitman arm and redo the trackbar to match the draglink, Just my observations
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM

I did get it aligned twice. Once right after the lift, then a second after I installed a different adjustable track bar with drop bracket. I did that to correct my drag link to track bar relationship. It looks pretty darn parallel to me.

I ordered the drop pitman arm with it from RC, because the guy said I would need it at 5"s, but after I installed the track bar and drop bracket, I test fit it up and the drag link/track bar relationship would get FURTHER from parallel.

I'm going to upload my alignment sheet here. Maybe the alignment pros will be able to spot something.

One thing the shop did, was align my XJ to Grand Cherokee Up-Country specs. Or at least near those specs. They selected that vehicle for my alignment even though I told them what I have (99' XJ 4x4). I am assuming they did it to get it closer to "correct", but I could be wrong.

Maybe someone that has their XJ alignment sheet can compare it (assuming its near 5"s).

I am concerned MOSTLY with toe in I think????
Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

I couldn't upload my PDF into the forum for whatever reason. So here is the spec related to toe-in:

Front: Left-

actual 0.10*, before 0.18*

Front: Right-

actual 0.10*, before 0.19*

Front

Total toe actual 0.20*, before 0.37*, Specified range 0.14*-0.26*

Again, my sheet says 1999-2004 WJ 4x4 Up-Country.

Dpes this look "normal"? Could it be that I'm at 5" of lift (on stock control arms) and have a sharp control arm angle, and the bumps are causing this counter-steering, not lack of toe-in? Would extra toe-in help?