Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this set up with a cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles
Default Should I buy this set up with a cherokee?

I am going to look at a 1995 Cherokee 4X4 105K that has a Ford 8.8 rear end and a Dana 30 front axle. It has ARB front and rear lockers. I am not familiar with this set up and would like to get advice about the reliability and practical aspects of this set up? Anything I should look for and inspect? Thanks for any advice. Sandyman

I posted this in the OEM section but I think it should go here.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Sandyman
I am going to look at a 1995 Cherokee 4X4 105K that has a Ford 8.8 rear end and a Dana 30 front axle. It has ARB front and rear lockers. I am not familiar with this set up and would like to get advice about the reliability and practical aspects of this set up? Anything I should look for and inspect? Thanks for any advice. Sandyman

I posted this in the OEM section but I think it should go here.
Unless he has over 35" tires that's a really good axles set up, everybody seems to love ARB air lockers too, as long as it's in good mechanical condition that should be a great Jeep plus pretty low mileage
Old 03-04-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

What did you pay to begin with ??
Old 03-04-2016, 02:22 PM

His listed price is 5500.00 and NO RUST . He says the air lockers are in great shape. Anything I can look for on the lockers to determine if they are good or not? The PO for him installed it all and then got sick and sold it before he could finish it. He is running 31"s with a 2" Rancho spacer. The current owner is the second owner. Any other opinions? It is a 96 not a 95 as I posted.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

His listed price is 5500.00 and NO RUST . He says the air lockers are in great shape. Anything I can look for on the lockers to determine if they are good or not? The PO for him installed it all and then got sick and sold it before he could finish it. He is running 31"s with a 2" Rancho spacer. The current owner is the second owner. Any other opinions? It is a 96 not a 95 as I posted.
Flip the switch and see if they work. Could bring some jack stands and jack up the axle to test. With 31s you'll be dragging that 8.8 around offroad no problem. 8.8s are great for 35+" Tires as the housing hangs lower than a 8.25 or dana 44. If you are looking to build it and put a good set of tires and suspension on it I'd say the axles are ready for it. 5,500 isn't bad if it's clean and has no rust. These engines can go forever but generally for that price i would expect there to be low miles on the engine.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Flip the switch and see if they work. Could bring some jack stands and jack up the axle to test. With 31s you'll be dragging that 8.8 around offroad no problem. 8.8s are great for 35+" Tires as the housing hangs lower than a 8.25 or dana 44. If you are looking to build it and put a good set of tires and suspension on it I'd say the axles are ready for it. 5,500 isn't bad if it's clean and has no rust. These engines can go forever but generally for that price i would expect there to be low miles on the engine.
WIll do Thanks. 105K miles is low around here. And the price is better than most 4x4's in this area. I won't be able to see it till Mon, so I will post what I find out then. Any more suggestions are appreciated.
He also said it had 1500.00 worth of sound equipment in it. We'll see.

Last edited by Sandyman; 03-04-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

ARB air lockers are awesome. When testing them, there should be 3 switches. 1 compressor and 2 lockers. You will be able to hear if the compressor is working when you turn it in. After the compressor is on, then you can activate the lockers. Upon disengaging the lockers you will hear a release of air, similar to a blow off valve on a turbo. If you hear that air release when you turn off the lockers, then you know air is flowing to them. Besides finding some gravel or jacking up the Jeep, that is the best way to test.

8.8 is a great axle. Sounds like you have found a good deal. Only thing that puzzles me is that those axles and lockers are more typical for 35s or at least 33s, so just make sure the dude isn't trying to sell you something that isn't actually what he is calling it. 31s and a cheap lift doesn't typically get paired with an aftermarket axle and top of the line lockers...
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by Hopkins
ARB air lockers are awesome. When testing them, there should be 3 switches. 1 compressor and 2 lockers. You will be able to hear if the compressor is working when you turn it in. After the compressor is on, then you can activate the lockers. Upon disengaging the lockers you will hear a release of air, similar to a blow off valve on a turbo. If you hear that air release when you turn off the lockers, then you know air is flowing to them. Besides finding some gravel or jacking up the Jeep, that is the best way to test.

8.8 is a great axle. Sounds like you have found a good deal. Only thing that puzzles me is that those axles and lockers are more typical for 35s or at least 33s, so just make sure the dude isn't trying to sell you something that isn't actually what he is calling it. 31s and a cheap lift doesn't typically get paired with an aftermarket axle and top of the line lockers...
This is a great thought.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:47 PM

Great info. Thank you very much. I think the current owner put the 31's on after the purchase but I will find out. Excellent thought. I can't see it till Monday but will post my findings. I hope it is in good shape because I will buy it if it is and/or see how negotiable he is. He also said he just did a rear main seal job with a Felpro gasket etc. and after doing my last one a couple of months ago I like that it is done.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Like said you will need larger tires and with that comes a gear change for them along with a lift to be able to run them.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

The arbs are worthless if it still has 3:55s since the carrier break is 3:73
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
The arbs are worthless if it still has 3:55s since the carrier break is 3:73
Agreed. I don't know who in their right mind would put 3.55s in an 8.8. Def a question worth asking tho.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Agreed. I don't know who in their right mind would put 3.55s in an 8.8. Def a question worth asking tho.
I know it's a factory explorer gear ratio so it's definitely a possibility
Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 PM

Guys I'm clueless about gear ratios. Please tell me what I need to ask and what I need to look for. The seller and I are having trouble getting time to meet. So I still have time to know what to look and ask for if I have the right questions. So I'm not asking for a lesson just some good advice at this point.

Last edited by Sandyman; 03-07-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Guys I'm clueless about gear ratios. Please tell me what I need to ask and what I need to look for. The seller and I are having trouble getting time to meet. So I still have time to know what to look and ask for if I have the right questions. So I'm not asking for a lesson just some good advice at this point.
I don't know of anyway to check without opening up the diff and checking to see if they're marked but he would probably tell you if they are a better gear ratio than stock as that is a pretty expensive and valuable modification

Quick Reply: Should I buy this set up with a cherokee?