Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks through the floor questions.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Shocks through the floor questions.

Looking to build a storage compartment in the back of my 90 4 door about 6" deep, just like this setup:

I am considering using some 1/8 or 3/16 plate to plate the area just behind the seat, building a rear facing 'C' to mount the hinge and child seat tether point on. Then mount the shocks to the bottom side of the plate to raise the upper mount about 6" (the height of the storage area). I would like to retain the stock lower shock mount. Why does everyone move them to the spring plate? Can I not leave the mount on the axle? I have swapped in an 8.8 and used IRO's shock mounts on the axle, so ground clearance isn't too much of an issue with the mounts. I figure the plate I weld in will make up for any structure I cut out to pass the shocks through the floor. What am I missing?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

If travel of shock is centered at current ride height, then you extend upper mount by 6", shock will be completely topped out. So the bottom of shock needs to be raised to match, hence the spring plate mounts. Or get longer shocks that have 12+ inches of travel. Also, moving shock outward toward axle ends gives the shocks more leverage which can translate into better performance.

Use the shocks collapsed and extended measurements to design mounts. I like the shock to be centered at ride height. Rock crawlers prefer a more compressed shock to allow more droop. Go-fast is the opposite, requiring more up-travel.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

I am in need of new shocks, so I plan to get some longer ones anyways (after mocking up mounts and measuring extended and compressed lengths). Will have to crawl under the Jeep and look at swinging the upper shock mounts outboard, pivoting on the current lower mounts. I'm just curious why people don't use the current lower mount and punch them up through the floor above the mounts.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

I use my Cherokee for rock crawling so the lower rear shock mounts are moved to the spring plate which also lines up with where the shocks go through the body. I was crawling with a Rubicon a few months back, he was in front of me so I watched him rip (break) the left rear lower shock mount right off the axle. I see that as a great opportunity to better the ground clearance and crawl-ability (is that a word?).

Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

The IRO lower shock mounts are moved up considerably above stock height. They are even with the center of the axle tube.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:29 PM

That's great bad idea. Your plan for the upper shock mounts sounds good. Depending on how much rear articulation you have; will the six inches in the box be enough?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Hell if I know. I'm still in the planning phase. I'm not looking to build a trail rig, more of a capable DD. Biggest reason I am considering raising the mounts 6" is only because I will have the dead space within the storage compartment. Otherwise, I really don't want to sacrifice the cargo space.

How high above the floor are your shock mounts Rockhead?

Last edited by bad_idea; 03-24-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM

From the rear floor board to the upper center mounting point is 13 and 1/4 inches. I did that suspension project for shock efficiency and looks (to me it looks cool). If your articulation requires longer shocks there is a company that makes a cross member which allows you to mount the shocks at a greater than stock angle.