Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shock suggestions

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered my lift kit. I ordered one from Rubicon Express and it does not come with shocks. Does anyone have any suggestions for shocks? Rustys, Rough Country, Rubicon Express? I don't really want to spend more than $50/shock but has anyone had good experiences with a certain shock -- like ride quality or something like that? Also, keep your eyes out for a new build thread if everything goes well!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't cheap-out on shocks, you'll hate the ride quality.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Rustys rides acceptable for me, my next set is gonna be the rustys remote resivour.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 PM

does anyone know if the RE shocks have a good ride quality?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, if you get the mono-tube instead of the twin tube.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Here ya go:
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...1326_1335_1336

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...1190_1367_1368
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM

thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by 93XJLI

Going from crap to polished crap.
I don't see you offering any suggestions. He asked for a decent shock that's still affordable, rustys fits those categories. I should have expected someone to make a comment like yours. Typical
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by Xj88
I don't see you offering any suggestions. He asked for a decent shock that's still affordable, rustys fits those categories. I should have expected someone to make a comment like yours. Typical
The shocks I run probably cost more than your jeep. Anyway, I would never run anything less than a bilstein 5100 or old man emu nitro on a lifted jeep. RE monos as mentioned above seem to be good as well for the price, I have no experience with them. After those choices, you start getting close to 100 bucks a shock. There are like a million shock threads on here, at least one a day.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

x2 on rusty's being crap. I currently have rusty's shocks and i dont like them at all. bad on road, worst offroad. But they were super cheap in a trade so I rock them. for now...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Old School CF Moderator

I never mentioned anything about skyjacker. And im not really to picky about having a smooth ride when im in a Jeep. Its a Jeep, and a Jeep can be built right with affordable shocks. Maybe rustys arent as great as bilsteins but what does it matter? They get the job done and they ride decent. Why throw around how much $ you spent on shocks, the OP doesnt need to know that, also why bother bashing me when I was here to help the OP. But, im not suprised, pretty typical here lately that we deal with members like that. OP, i offered my advise, and if you have any other questions pm me. Im not wasting anymore time going back and forth with captain shocks here.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I agree with xj88 More and more I see people not helping a person in a thread but instead insulting them. A person asks a question about a certain product and would like advise from someone who had actually delt with that product and has experience with it, But then you get somebody who has NO experience at all with thus product and tells the person they are stupid if they use it because its cheap and that they don't spend big $$ on the more expensive products. Well maybe that's all they can afford and would like to know if it will do for there application. Not everyone is going to be a Baja racer or run in the King of Hammers race. So they don't need the most expensive thing out there. If you can afford Bilsteins I would say get those, But if not RE shocks are pretty decent, And if you can't afford those Rustys shocks, or any other lift shock like RC, Skyjacker,Zone,BDS,are all pretty much the same. They are cheap but get the job done if you ask me. It may not ride like a caddy but its a jeep they were never supposed to. I wish people would READ what someone is asking instead of giving them useless information and bashing them for using something different because its not what they use. This forum is becoming more and more like Pirate each and every day.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 05-01-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Goul language
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

i ordered a 3.5'' RE kit and Bilstein 5100s from here, havent gotten any of it installed yet but from what ive heard its the way to go. and Franks a great guy to deal with as well
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

being a realist. i ran a rustys lift. i ran cheap rustys shocks. i upgraded to cheap short arms, cheap trackbar, slighty less crappier shocks. it all worked alright for a while then turned to crap again. i had to buy better arms, a better trackbar, and better steering. i put almost 100k on my last jeep, i know whats worth the money, and what isnt. what broke, what wore out faster than it should, and what simply worked.

idk why you guys just started out keep giving bad advice to the guys with more experience. it costs WAY more money to keep upgrading over and over than it does to save a little longer and buy the better stuff the first time. i never said anyone needed the shocks i run, i mentioned the same shocks frankz mentioned, as well as other shocks in that price range. yes, they're a few dollars more than the OPs original price point, but those extra few dollars are WORTH IT. all cheap twintube shocks are the same. add nitro to it and ok, yea maybe itll ride a little better for a few months, but its still a white body, no name, low quality piece.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 05-01-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: foul language
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 99xj99
Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered my lift kit. I ordered one from Rubicon Express and it does not come with shocks. Does anyone have any suggestions for shocks? Rustys, Rough Country, Rubicon Express? I don't really want to spend more than $50/shock but has anyone had good experiences with a certain shock -- like ride quality or something like that? Also, keep your eyes out for a new build thread if everything goes well!
Originally Posted by Xj88
Rustys rides acceptable for me, my next set is gonna be the rustys remote resivour.

If you Read what the OP was asking he wanted to know about Rustys, Rough Country, Rubicon Express shocks. And he didn't want to spend really more than $50 a shock.

So people were giving him options to what he was asking about.

Then you chime in with your Useless post. (Just look above if you forgot what you said)

How is that helping?

I have personally used Rustys shocks and have had NO problems or issues at all. They do there job just fine. Im not looking to have my jeep ride like a caddy. If I wanted it to Ride like a caddy I would save up and buy the more expensive shocks, But it rides just fine for me so I feel my money is better used elsewhere.

He was asking about those particular shocks, Because that's what he could afford. If he wanted to know about $100-$300 dollar per shocks he would have asked about those.

Now all I was stating is I wish people would READ what someone was asking about and Post on that subject and not try picking arguments with other people for giving there advice towards it.

All you had to do was suggest a shock and that was it but instead you told someone else That they would be doing no good, that was uncalled for.

Its not your jeep. If someone else wants to spend there money on something you have no right to tell them different. Or insult them for doing so.

Now its not just you I see this going on all over this forum with others as well.

This Forum is becoming more and more like Pirate each and every day. If people don't have anything nice to say,.. then please don't even post in that thread and move on, Its really very simple.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 05-01-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: foul language

Quick Reply: Shock suggestions