Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on shackels

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default School me on shackels

So I am in the process of building a one ton cherokee and I am researching my rear suspension setup. It already has rustys 8" leafsprings in the rear, but I am curious what my other options are. I have been looking at a lot of pics of big cherokees I like, and it seems a lot of them are running a shackel in the rear. It seems these shackels are keeping the leaf a lot flatter. Are they running stockto minimal liftleaf springs with a shackel to keep the leaf flat? I have been out of the offroad game for a while, and back when I was into it shackels were the "cheap" way to lift your rig. It seems a few have stretch their wheelbase a bit with shackels also, is that from the leafspring relocation brackets? Are there any pros or cons to using shackels? Any insight or help will be greatly appreciated. I wanted to link the rear, but it's not in the buget right now.

Oh and here are a few pics of me gathering parts
Kingpin D60 and 35 spline D70

Just got a set of 38s on H1s
In a few months!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Well since your going to run tons (i'm jealous btw) I'm assuming your going to stretch your wheel base. With this your able to set up your shackle as you like. They say 45 degree shackle angle is the best. Depending on how you set it up, you can set more up travel or down travel from how you position your shackle. Closer to horizontal shackle angle, the more down travel you will get, likewise closer to vertical means more up travel.

Springs with a lot of arch will be stiff and not flex very well. You see alot of 1ton XJ's running 63" chevy springs that are long and flat-ish. Combine with a good shackle and shackle angle, you will have a lot of suspension travel.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Well since your going to run tons (i'm jealous btw) I'm assuming your going to stretch your wheel base. With this your able to set up your shackle as you like. They say 45 degree shackle angle is the best. Depending on how you set it up, you can set more up travel or down travel from how you position your shackle. Closer to horizontal shackle angle, the more down travel you will get, likewise closer to vertical means more up travel.

Springs with a lot of arch will be stiff and not flex very well. You see alot of 1ton XJ's running 63" chevy springs that are long and flat-ish. Combine with a good shackle and shackle angle, you will have a lot of suspension travel.

Thanks for the info! I am going to see if I can find a build thread. Think this might be the route I want to go.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

YUP, he bout summed it up.
the only thing that I will add, is, and especially if you run a larger lift spring, that when the spring compresses and releases the length of the spring changes in relation to the arch. if you run a large arch and short shackle, under compression the shackle will not be able to swing enough to match the increase in length of the spring. a long shackle will swing farther and let the spring flex more.
I hope this makes sense, I picture it in my head perfectly lol.
also, I assume you are going to be looking for more down travel than up with a tire that size, so shackle angle gets very important. you want to be somewhere in the 45 degree area. or even a little more. Like I said, it will limit up travel, and give you great down travel.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM

It's def starting to make sense, wish I could find a listing of people's rear setups to get a visual idea of what different people are running.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You can go to my build page in my sig by clicking the link and see mine.
I used rustys 6.5" spring, with 2 leafs removed and a 1" lift (2" longer) jks boomerang shackle. Taking the leafs out flattened the spring, and since it was such an arc it affectively lenghtened the spring at ride height. so even with stock mounts my shackle angle is very good, I have tons of down travel.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanks I will check it out!!