Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty's HD Coils & AAL Lift ride hard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rusty's HD Coils & AAL Lift ride hard?

Hey all, just looking for a gut check for some more experienced tinkerers than myself - I bought a 3.5" Rusty's Offroad AAL kit that also had the HD front coils that I thought I would need to support my now installed full bumper, winch and bull bar replacement. While the added weight leveled out the front, it continued to ride quite hard.

I recently installed a full set of brand new Bilstein 5100s and a Rusty's steering stabilizer, while the handling on road is certainly improved the rig continues to ride hard on uneven pavement (read: everywhere around where I live) and is quite jouncy offroad still.

My question is this - did I make a tactical error in buying the HD coils? Are they too stiff for the limited addition of weight I've made (bumper/winch) or will adding some armor, diff covers and possibly switching out the rear bumper for an all metal and tire carrier setup finally temper the ride quality?

At this point I'm into this lift (tires and shocks included) for parts and labor well over $2,000 and just feeling like I should have more to show for it in performance and ride quality....
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

They will ride hard when brand new, they should loosen up after use
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by elevol92
They will ride hard when brand new, they should loosen up after use
Right, so that's part of my concern as I'm coming up on almost a year with the lift kit on, 6 months with the bumper and had the new shocks on for about two weeks. Maybe everything just needs to settle into place as a whole?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Diff covers, or any weight added BELOW the springs (wheels, tires, brakes, etc.) is UNSPRUNG weight. weight not resting on the springs, so that will not change anything. basically if you rock your jeep side to side, anything that rocks with the body will add weight over your springs. everything that doesnt rock wont
Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by stock95sport(for now)
Diff covers, or any weight added BELOW the springs (wheels, tires, brakes, etc.) is UNSPRUNG weight. weight not resting on the springs, so that will not change anything. basically if you rock your jeep side to side, anything that rocks with the body will add weight over your springs. everything that doesnt rock wont
That is an excellent description - thanks, that definitely helps. So, bumpers, gas tank cover, skids and rock rails would be the main contributors to adding sprung weight. Good point, I guess I should have thought of it like that...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

NP man, always lookin to help out on that topic also, unsprung weight makes a bigger difference in mpg, etc since the sprung weight sort of doesnt weigh what it actually weighs...if that makes any sense. for example you can grab a bumper of a full size pickup and lift it an inch by hand, where if the truck body was just on jack stands, you wouldnt be able to lift it....kind of confusing, lol. But yeah, as you said bumpers, skids, armor will all help to "squish" those HD springs a bit.