Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty's 3"/4.5" Lift Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusty's 3"/4.5" Lift Kit Advice

Hey guys, I was wondering if this Rusty's kit would be a good build for my 96 XJ, and if anyone thinks I would run into any problems.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html

I would trim my fenders and try to fit 32" or 33"s. I won't be off-roading very much, just the occasional trail rides. I just want to know if I can run this kit, without adding anything else (no regearing or anything), and be able to have a decent ride, go mudding occasionally, and tow some random lightweight things. I am really not up for regearing, but if there are any other small things I would *absolutely need* please mention it.
This kit plus wheels and tires will pretty much hit my budget, but as far as I have seen, this is the best I can do with my limited budget.

I am also still debating between that 4.5" kit and the Rusty's 3"
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html
but since this 4.5" kit comes with all the extra parts like a transfer case drop kit and an adjustable track bar, etc. I thought it would probably be worth the extra $200 or so. Not to mention I could fit bigger tires. But if anyone doesn't think it would be worth going to 4.5" and thinks it would be better to just save money and go with the 3", please let me know why.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

With that 4.5 inch kit, you'll need longer swaybar links or disconnects, otherwise your swaybar angle will be off. Also, you may want to upgrade to some real extended brake lines instead of using what comes with the kit. I run Rusty's coils, leafs, control arms, and shocks, and I've been pretty happy with it. The shocks are kinda junk, but I'll be getting some OME shocks soon. Rusty's coils and leafs are pretty damn nice though, you'll be happy with that I'm sure.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
With that 4.5 inch kit, you'll need longer swaybar links or disconnects, otherwise your swaybar angle will be off. Also, you may want to upgrade to some real extended brake lines instead of using what comes with the kit. I run Rusty's coils, leafs, control arms, and shocks, and I've been pretty happy with it. The shocks are kinda junk, but I'll be getting some OME shocks soon. Rusty's coils and leafs are pretty damn nice though, you'll be happy with that I'm sure.
^X2
I , also, can attest to Rusty's leafspring packs and coils (I just installed the 3" Leafpack lift with tire/wheel package for a '95 XJ) as they are USA made and of as-good or better than stock quality. Also , I agree with the shocks statement ; they are your basic , hydro shock of mediocre quality but mostly they are sub-par due to the polyurethane bushings that transmit vibrations from the road to the unitbody . I suggest doing what I did and repurposing the shocks I replaced rubber bushings ( I had Sensatrac from Sears on before the Rusty's ) where possible . I had good rubber shock bushings for the front top stem mount and I pressed out the fine condition shock eye bushing out of the rear shock eyes and used on the Rusty's shock eye (lower) ; for the uppers in rear I'm getting some BPEs to limit the bumping from the polyurethane ...
I would recommend Rusty's lift kits to anyone ; they have been above average with the cust srvc as well.
get the longer sway bar end links or QDs as well....the shocks are where they save on the cost associated with the full kits - not horrible but you'll wind up getting better ones to go with the nice coils and leafsprings
Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

im running the 3 inch advanced kit from rustys, only complaint is i didnt go with the 4.5 inch one... im running 31s on stock gearing.