Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough Idle

Hey all.

I currently bought a 1996 Cherokee with a 3.5 inch lift in the beginning of April. When stopped it tends to idle a little rough. Its definitely not the worst I've seen but it's there. The check engine light is also on so there might be a connection between the two.

It currently has 240,XXX on it. I know thats a lot BUT it has had regular oil changes/ maintenance as well as certain key parts replaced/ rebuilt. I know all this for a fact because I have every single recite from every little thing down to it.

What I was wondering is if anyone here knows how to fix this problem. Preferably do it yourself type of fix but if needed I will take in. Thanks for reading.

PS I will upload pictures of my jeep very soon. I just installed a home built roof rack.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Oregon Cherokee
Hey all.

I currently bought a 1996 Cherokee with a 3.5 inch lift in the beginning of April. When stopped it tends to idle a little rough. Its definitely not the worst I've seen but it's there. The check engine light is also on so there might be a connection between the two.

It currently has 240,XXX on it. I know thats a lot BUT it has had regular oil changes/ maintenance as well as certain key parts replaced/ rebuilt. I know all this for a fact because I have every single recite from every little thing down to it.

What I was wondering is if anyone here knows how to fix this problem. Preferably do it yourself type of fix but if needed I will take in. Thanks for reading.

PS I will upload pictures of my jeep very soon. I just installed a home built roof rack.

Welcome to the Forum! I disagree that 240K is a lot. My beast currently has 220K (90 Cherokee laredo) and my previous beast another 90 cherokee laredo had 264K before I got rid of it (worst mistake ever)... Any who.. my Cherokee was having a rough idle as well, turned out I needed new TPS and readjusted. (Simple process for the 90, two bolts, one connector and to adjust was just as easy). Cruiser has several write ups that are extremely helpful for mostly for Renix but im certain they will be just as useful for you.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/