Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough country long arm kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rough country long arm kit

I am asking either people who have this kit that for install themselves or experience with the kit. When installing the t. Case skid is there supposed to be a threaded slot or something? I have the 2 9/16 bolts, washer and lock washers but they do not fasten to anything. Am i retarded here?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Year: 1990

There should be 2 threaded holes on the back side of the long arm crossmember that those bolts go in and 2 self tappers that go into the driverside unirail.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Yea I don't have those threaded holes....lol crap
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Year: 1998

I'm about to buy just the long arms and crossmember to upgrade my short arm rusty's kit. How do you like your kit so far? Any problems?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM

OP: If you can figure out where the hole is supposed to be would it be feasible to drill the hole yourself? I'm not a big fan of having to modify an engineered part to make it work, but it's an option.

Side note:

I can't say anything for the long arm kit, but I have their X series 4.5'' lift and it seems to be OK so far. I've only had it on the ground for about 500 to 1,000 miles, but I can tell you I wouldn't go to their long arm upgrade if you've got other options.

I've read a lot about their joints wearing out quickly (unfortunately after I already purchased) and had a set of problems of my own that have put me off from future purchases. To each his own.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been running this kit for 4 or 5 months now. about 14k miles on it and i love it. it rides better, does better off road, and its pretty beefy for how much you pay. the design and mount is much stronger than the iro kit in my opinion.

i had a couple of joints wear out. R/C warranteed them no problem and since then no issues.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM

There should be two holes in the back of the crossmember that are NOT threaded. As I recall, you have to reach up above the crossmember from the front to attach the washers and nuts. I modified the skidplate by turning the holes in it into slots by cutting down from above with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel. Then you just loosely attach the bolts, washers and nuts to the crossmember and slide the skidplate up into position and tighten down the hardware. Makes R&R a lot easier.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM

So far install has been a biatch but I got done about 2 hours ago and took it for a 4 foot test drive, heard a grinding so I had the wife drive for a sec. My front driveshaft was rubbing the xmember so I sawzalled off the little rubbing part and Walla! It work. I do not currently have the t.case skid in nor the braces ( issue with mounting skid and waiting for braces from the guy I bought it from.) But it rides like a caddy right now. So I got what I paid for, a 250 dollar long arm kit. So far in the 15 miles I drove it I have seen night and day road manners from short arms. I am at 5.5 - 6 inches of lift.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by planewrench
There should be two holes in the back of the crossmember that are NOT threaded. As I recall, you have to reach up above the crossmember from the front to attach the washers and nuts. I modified the skidplate by turning the holes in it into slots by cutting down from above with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel. Then you just loosely attach the bolts, washers and nuts to the crossmember and slide the skidplate up into position and tighten down the hardware. Makes R&R a lot easier.
Both holes in my crossmember are threaded.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

Originally Posted by Trumpster
OP: If you can figure out where the hole is supposed to be would it be feasible to drill the hole yourself? I'm not a big fan of having to modify an engineered part to make it work, but it's an option.

Side note:

I can't say anything for the long arm kit, but I have their X series 4.5'' lift and it seems to be OK so far. I've only had it on the ground for about 500 to 1,000 miles, but I can tell you I wouldn't go to their long arm upgrade if you've got other options.

I've read a lot about their joints wearing out quickly (unfortunately after I already purchased) and had a set of problems of my own that have put me off from future purchases. To each his own.
if i remember correctly, if you drill into the back of the cross member yourself then RC will drop any and all warrentys on your item, (pending you bought it new from them) i am currently running the RC long arms, been on my jeep about a year and a half now and iv had to replace all the bushings already, if i had done it right away when i needed them replaced i might have needed to replace them twice by now, they def dont last might longer then 6 months esp when wheeled hard. besides that havent had a single issue with the kit, its super strong as iv landed on my long arms coming down steep rock faces and they only suffered light scratches n scuffs but no dents.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM

I have the 4.5" long arm kit using the new rear spring packs. I have about 5,000 miles on it now. Running 32x11.5R15 mud claw radials. Kit went in relatively well, no major issues. Jeep handles great on the road yet the tires are a little squirrely in the rain.
Took the jeep off road yesterday for a little trip, nothing too crazy. It handled fine, seem to flex well enough,
I haven't had any issues so far and I thought the kit was well put together. Plenty of bad press for rough county products but for the money I paid, I don't think there was anything equivalent. Truck is mainly for camping and hunting, not hard core rock crawler so I guess it comes down to what you want or need.