Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Rim quality

I went to a shop and the guy there was telling me that the cheap rims some of us want to buy like the d-window ones on jegs http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...95303/10002/-1
Are actually not welded all the way around and that they are suppose to be meant for trailers and not on road highway use. And that a decent steel rim will run about $85 per rim.
So my question is, how do I tell on websites how good of quality the rims are. I mean I know the difference between the cheap stuff and the stuff that's a little better. But if I am just buying steel rims I want to get them cheap but also fully welded so I won't get a complete pos.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89

It has to be welded all the way around or it wouldn't be airtight? I could be wrong. Those Jegs wheels are rated for 2100 lbs each (15x8 anyway). I haven't heard of one busting a part, and unless you'll be smashing em on jumps with no air in your tires and no suspension, I think you'll be fine.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that guy don't know what hes talking about.Or trying to scare you in to spending more money then you need to.Jegs and summit have house brand parts which are made by real companies so those d windows are probably really cragar brand.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I have never heard of one of these wheels failing. Obviously you can tear up the bead by slamming rocks but otherwise no
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wheel damage i have seen more busted beads off road then anything.Only time i seen a center break was a aluminum rim on a pickup that was really over loaded past the rims weight rating.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 ho

Man I was looking at them jegs rims, checked price... after shipping its just under $500 for a set of 4.... or if I want next day shipping it would be just under $1,000. lol. I think I'd be better off buying better rims locally.

Last edited by crdude; 04-21-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by crdude
Man I was looking at them jegs rims, checked price... after shipping its just under $500 for a set of 4.... or if I want next day shipping it would be just under $1,000. lol. I think I'd be better off buying better rims locally.
What are you talking about. I just checked and they still do free shipping via Fed Ex.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Year: 2000

On another note I have 4 simulated bead lock d windows for sale. They just need refinished. Make an offer if you Are interested.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourtrax
What are you talking about. I just checked and they still do free shipping via Fed Ex.
look at his location.....
Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO K&N filter #703 injectors

Originally Posted by Tamadrummer
I went to a shop and the guy there was telling me that the cheap rims some of us want to buy like the d-window ones on jegs http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...95303/10002/-1
Are actually not welded all the way around and that they are suppose to be meant for trailers and not on road highway use. And that a decent steel rim will run about $85 per rim.
So my question is, how do I tell on websites how good of quality the rims are. I mean I know the difference between the cheap stuff and the stuff that's a little better. But if I am just buying steel rims I want to get them cheap but also fully welded so I won't get a complete pos.
I have heard the same thing, If you go to a local shop and look at the back if the wheel where the center is attached on most wheels it will be welded in 3" strips in 4 or 5 places around the back. There are some that are welded all the way around (maybe Procomp?) and then I thought I saw one welded on both sides front and back. Can't remember the brand. I run Alcoa's because its a forged wheel.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fourtrax
On another note I have 4 simulated bead lock d windows for sale. They just need refinished. Make an offer if you Are interested.
Well, I wasn't looking for the beadlock look. Also I'm in south FL so shipping from you might not be worth it.

Originally Posted by ptreaster
I have heard the same thing, If you go to a local shop and look at the back if the wheel where the center is attached on most wheels it will be welded in 3" strips in 4 or 5 places around the back. There are some that are welded all the way around (maybe Procomp?) and then I thought I saw one welded on both sides front and back. Can't remember the brand. I run Alcoa's because its a forged wheel.
That's what the dude was saying. He also said that it is more for when you get in accidents that the cheaper(less welded) rims will bend easier (obviously) But I feel like if the rim is rated for the weight then it should be good for everything other than crashes. Especially since I don't want to pay an extra $40 per rim when I don't even have airbags in my '91
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Also, what about the cheap Cragar's? http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/342...d=#moreDetails
Would the $14 more per-rim be worth it?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

My 15x8 Pro Comp d-windows dont have a continuous bead welded around. Just welded in 2-3" strips all the way around. That's the same way I've always been told to weld centers in wheels, to keep from putting too much heat into the wheel and warping it. And believe me, if strength was an issue from mine being built like that, I would have bent or broken them by now. They are definitely strong, the only damage I've managed to do is put a dent on one of the rims from a rock.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like he was wanting to sell you wheels. The Jegs and Summit wheels are DOT approved wheels for vehicles not just trailers. I'm running some of the Summit ones and I've beat the wee out of them and they are fine, lips are bent but that happens with rocks.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive dented a bunch of those, usually just the outer or inner lip, most times I just bend them back. Never a failed weld and only bent one out of round enough to be noticable. They seem no more or less heavy duty than any factory steel truck wheel I have ran.

Quick Reply: Rim quality