Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This the right way?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6
Default This the right way?

Is this the right way to go doorless on a 1994 xj with power everything? https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/re...y-cheap-90496/ Ive never removed doors on anything before and my friend was saying its pretty hard to get the pin out. Also does mine already has a cluster inside the kick panel so theres no need for wiring? Thanks for the help
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

That's one way to do it yes. In my opinion i would honestly try to cut the bottom part of the hinge without unbolting the door from the hinge. Would save you alot of headache in readjusting the doors. However, i found i couldnt get at the hinge with a grinder and cutoff wheel, so you'll probably need to use a dremel or the sort. I know of a few people thats done it without removing the hinges.

And as far as the wiring goes.. Do you have power windows and power locks? If not, you can just use a trailer plug like i used on mine, Otherwise you'll want to put some sort of plug or disconnect. Using the plugs behind the kick panel would be a pain.

Last edited by xj_maniac_newb; 02-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
That's one way to do it yes. In my opinion i would honestly try to cut the bottom part of the hinge without unbolting the door from the hinge. Would save you alot of headache in readjusting the doors. However, i found i couldnt get at the hinge with a grinder and cutoff wheel, so you'll probably need to use a dremel or the sort. I know of a few people thats done it without removing the hinges.
Id cut the hinge first but just checking
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb

And as far as the wiring goes.. Do you have power windows and power locks? If not, you can just use a trailer plug like i used on mine, Otherwise you'll want to put some sort of plug or disconnect. Using the plugs behind the kick panel would be a pain.
i have power everything and how would it be a pain? Wouldnt it be more of a pain to rewire everything when theres already a plug
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack thread but I've been having trouble reaching to cut the hinge with a Dremel. I get so far then just seems like cant go Amy further, anyone else have this prob? Or know a solution
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I drilled mine , use a punch to make a good point for the drill bit. The pin is round so it may take a few times. Start with small bit for pilot hole and move up in bit size
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4
i have power everything and how would it be a pain? Wouldnt it be more of a pain to rewire everything when theres already a plug
Sorry, didnt see you had replied on this thread. The option that would be easiest on you when you're removing and replacing your doors would be to get the plugs from a ZJ. You said yours already has a plug, but just for reason of being quicker, new plugs would be easier on you in the long run.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/do...-doors-129240/
But if you want to use the plugs you're speaking of, more power to you.
Originally Posted by irvan105
Not to hijack thread but I've been having trouble reaching to cut the hinge with a Dremel. I get so far then just seems like cant go Amy further, anyone else have this prob? Or know a solution
Have you disconnected your door stops? You may need a bigger diameter cutoff wheel for the dremel if you cant reach, but be careful as the larger diamater wheel will be more susceptible to busting.