Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rides and steers like poop

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"
Default rides and steers like poop

Well I figure after a few hundred miles and a couple month my suspension has settled enough from the new lift.
I still have crappy tires, but my rear end rides stiff as hell. Re full leafs 3.5". My stock shackles are pretty much vertical a couple degrees to the rear. And my steering darts all over the place and causes dw at speeds above 45-50. Alignment set and according to the shop has a caster of 7*. But the way it steers feels like its on its toes. Way easy to turn and turns very tight. But very unstable at speed. Along with a super stiff and bouncy rear end, this thing is a pita to keep on the road. It's not currently a dd. But would like it to be able to if needed.
Throwing some good ol Bfg at on soon as in all honesty its driven on the road most and doesn't really do the kind of wheelin to require more.
But I'm thinking that caster angle is just not right. And my tires appear to sit back in the wheel well a little.
Should. Should I try changing the caster?
And the rear end, are those short stock shackles limiting travel giving such a harsh ride. Worst that a one ton diesel truck with no weight in the bed.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, a little longer shackles at a 45 degree angle will make a WORLD of difference.

As far as the front end goes... As long as all of the steering components are in good shape then the truck should ride good with 7* of castor. I'd recommend waiting until you've put new tires on it to see how much difference the new tires make. You'll want another allignment after the new tires, anyways.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

did you install the lift?
if so, did you have the weight sitting on the wheels (on the ground) when you tightened the shackles? if not, that would be the problem with the rear.

as for the front, did you get an alignment after the install?

how bad are the front tires? i know if they're crowned, it'll be all over the road if there's too much air. try new tires.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by caged
did you install the lift?
if so, did you have the weight sitting on the wheels (on the ground) when you tightened the shackles? if not, that would be the problem with the rear.

as for the front, did you get an alignment after the install?

how bad are the front tires? i know if they're crowned, it'll be all over the road if there's too much air. try new tires.
Yes, yes, and yes. Tires I believe are bias ply old dry rotted mudders. I have to run no more than 18psi otherwise they crown and also do not seem round, they have a egg shaped rolling bounce effect slightly. That along w the still rear end makes it funny watch my passengers in the rear, till they nearly like as if on a cheap amusement park ride.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Sounds like your tires are a large percentage here of your issues. The rear will ride rough with the vertical shackle, but there's thousands of vertical-shackled lifted XJ's out there, it's not a major issue.

Not from my personal experience, but from talking with others regarding axle swaps, it seems that lifted XJ's handle better at 4-5* of caster vs. stock 7*. Again, not from my personal experience, but from lots of axle swap research.

Try the new tires first, then look at the caster if it still feels loose.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

Originally Posted by 2trackin
Tires I believe are bias ply old dry rotted mudders
that right there.
i have bias ply too, i feel your pain.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Looking at some ol Bfg at tires. I wanted mud terrains. But its more of a dd and may start to see more highway use. I wheel once or twice a month. And I think some good all terrains will be just fine.
For around $150 a tire 31". Anything compare to a Bfg that I should be looking at as well?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by 2trackin
Yes, yes, and yes. Tires I believe are bias ply old dry rotted mudders. I have to run no more than 18psi otherwise they crown and also do not seem round, they have a egg shaped rolling bounce effect slightly. That along w the still rear end makes it funny watch my passengers in the rear, till they nearly like as if on a cheap amusement park ride.
There is your problem right there! You should be good with a new set of shoes in this thing.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Alright, new shoes. Then the issue of my shackle angle. I don't think longer shackles will change the angle, only if more weight is applied I guess it may have more room to flex out. But as far ad everyday driving, I think only changing shackle location forward an inch or two along with longer shackles would give me that 45* angle and the extended swing for full flex. I have hydro shocks as well and want to switch to a gas shock as the hydros are extra stiff in the cold.