Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richmond Powertrax No-slip Ops check issues. please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Richmond Powertrax No-slip Ops check issues. please help

just installed my no-slip locker and went to do the ops check they call for and i cant get the passenger wheel to free spin like they should do. i took the locker back out to make sure i didnt miss anything and everythin g looks fine. the drivers side works fine. they want you to hold the drivers side fwd while you turn the passenger wheel backwards which should disengage the unit and free spin. well the passenger side does nothing but stay locked. they coupler on the pass. side doesnt do anything. seems like the couple on the drivers side is doing it all and only the drivers wheel is working like it should. any ideas? please give me some advice if you have seen this. i didnt want to put the cover on and fluid and try it and break it. thanks alot
Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Seems like I remeber the directions saying the transfer case has to be engaged also...not sure.Was the gap between the couplers good?0.145-0.170?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Mine was the opposite, it passed the test. It just never worked right. Would only lock if I got off the gas, and back on. Torque-steer was bad. I took it out, replaced the carrier with an Auburn LSD. Most of the people here don't like LSDs, but it is my daily driver. I don't rock crawl, and only have 30x9.50x15 with a 2 1/2" lift. Last week my friend let me drive his JK with Detriot auto locker. Now I know how a locker is suppose to work. It only torque-steered in the corners a little, never going straight. You can try, and call them. I hope you have good luck.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 2qk4u
just installed my no-slip locker and went to do the ops check they call for and i cant get the passenger wheel to free spin like they should do. i took the locker back out to make sure i didnt miss anything and everythin g looks fine. the drivers side works fine. they want you to hold the drivers side fwd while you turn the passenger wheel backwards which should disengage the unit and free spin. well the passenger side does nothing but stay locked. they coupler on the pass. side doesnt do anything. seems like the couple on the drivers side is doing it all and only the drivers wheel is working like it should. any ideas? please give me some advice if you have seen this. i didnt want to put the cover on and fluid and try it and break it. thanks alot
1) did it pass the go/no go block check?
2) did you install it with the paddles facing opposite directions?
3) is one of the paddles broken/cracked?
4) have you tried disengaging it by holding the drivers side, shaking the passenger side a little and then turning it in reverse?
5) are all of the springs installed and seated properly?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon7
Mine was the opposite, it passed the test. It just never worked right. Would only lock if I got off the gas, and back on. Torque-steer was bad. I took it out, replaced the carrier with an Auburn LSD. Most of the people here don't like LSDs, but it is my daily driver. I don't rock crawl, and only have 30x9.50x15 with a 2 1/2" lift. Last week my friend let me drive his JK with Detriot auto locker. Now I know how a locker is suppose to work. It only torque-steered in the corners a little, never going straight. You can try, and call them. I hope you have good luck.
You broke your paddles by forcing the crosshaft in. You results are severely slanted.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

I thought he took it out and said the paddles weren't broken?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM

paddles were fine. i actually got it figured out. found one of the 8 yellow springs jacked up. must have got messed up when i put the pin in. all tests passed. this is my first locker. doesnt do too bad on the street. i had a little more than i like backlash before the install and now its even worse feeling. i know they say you will get this. guess its not hurting anything. have you all experienced this and how has your Powertrax held up? im putting in a detroit trutrac this weekend in the front. its a Dana 30
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah my backlash is really bad, it's a side affect of the design though so not much to do about it. I have lunchboxes in both front and rear, putting it from reverse to drive when in 4x4 is like a concert.

Really bad is IMO, I am used to driving modified new cars so I'm not used to mechanical clunking being normal sounds.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The paddles were not broken. Nothing on it is broken. It passed the test, it just never worked. It did have more backlash, but that is part of the design. I changed the break in oil at 500 miles on the LSD, and am very happy with it. I was going to put a lunchbox in the front, but now I will wait for an electric one. It will cost more, but probably worth the wait. The powertrax is holding down my shop bench.