Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reviving 95 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Reviving 95 XJ

Hello everyone. First of all I would like to thank everyone on this forum who contributes because this has been my go to place for XJ information since i started fixing up my new to me jeep.
So my name is Mike, and i bought my 95 XJ back in April of 2014. When i got it Fred Flintstone had more floorboards than me. It took me about 6 months do to work, school, and personal life to redo nearly the whole entire floor. It would have been easier to buy the panels, but i had already bought a sheet of 16ga steel from work. Finished the floor, paint, primed, pasti-flexed the floor, then carpet. Underneath i painted and used 3M professional rubberized undercoating. I also changed the fuel pump/filter/lines.
After i got it running again i realized the water pump was on the way out. So replaced that and went cheap by not replacing the water lines. Two days later, the top coolant line blows. Replaced that and bypassed the HCV. When i was doing the water pump i noticed i had a crack in the header at the collector.
I did the seafoam in the throttle body to clean the injectors and see how bad my exhaust leak was. The test was pretty much useless because I have never seen so much smoke in my life
So since last week I have been looking at exhaust manifolds, and I'm not sure exactly which way im leaning. I hear many recommendations and some have opted for the ebay (speeddaddy) manifolds but im not sure. I really want to replace the whole thing. And then I began reading the "exhaust questions here" topic and i was thrown off again by the suggestion of getting a 99-01 intake manifold to increase fuel mileage.

Short and simple: I plan on using the jeep for fishing on NJ beaches. I want the exhaust to have a slight rumble(leaning towards flowmaster) but not overpowering. I also would like to increase my MPG.

I apologize for such a drawn out post. I just need a little insight. I'm beginning to get dizzy reading all the topics.
Thanks for your time,
Mike