Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Brake lines!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default Replacing Brake lines!

Hi All -

In the middle of putting on a Zone Offroad 4.5" lift, just finishing up the back half if the lift. I've purchased extended brake lines by Crown Industries but they didn't include any instructions, so can someone point me to a good set of instructions for replacing/installing extended brake lines?

I'll be posting a bunch of Zone lift install pictures to my build thread later tomorrow (Saturday or Sunday maybe), so make sure to check out my new build thread in a couple days when it actually has a lot of content and cool pics!

DS-MATT
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

The install is pretty much a straight forward unbolt and bolt installation, just take one off and match up the style to the longer one. Also remember you will have to bleed your brake system afterwards.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

aIt's pretty simple, make sure you don't forget the copper washers on the calliper side for the front lines. I had to use a crescent wrench on the old rubber line (the metal bracket part) and vice grips to get the solid line unscrewed; they use a fair bit of salt on the roads here, you might have better luck with a simple open-end wrench. Otherwise, pretty straight forward.

For bleeding the brakes, get a friend. You can buy one-man brake bleeding systems, but I find having two people works much better. Definitely buy a brake bleeding wrench (just a 6 point closed end wrench, 3/8" IIRC) If you use a regular 12 point closed wrench, you will likely destroy the bleeding nubby. I just used some tubing I had laying around to fit over the bleeding screw, and put the other end in a hole I made in a jar. Most people recommend bleeding furthest-to-closest in relation to the master cylinder. So do the passenger side rear, driver's side rear, passenger front, then driver front. Make sure you keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the reservoir, you don't want to let it get empty.

The procedure is basically:
-Friend pushes pedal
-you loosen bleeder screw, then tighten, all while friend is holding pedal.
-friend releases pedal.
-Repeat many times.