Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front clip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 L
Exclamation Removing front clip...

Hey guys! My front clip in my 2001 xj is all cut up from all the rocks down in So. Flo. I was wondering how to remove this front clip so I can repaint it with herculiner or oemthing or the sort. I still have the stock bumper up front whhich is also cut up and chipped. Should I repaint the front clip or the front clip/bumper too? Would jsut the front clip or front clip/bumper painted with debliner look stupid when the rest of the jeep is OEM Glossy black? Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Engine: 4.0L

You may have to do some prep work, sanding cleaning, and maybe primer. I think it depends on the bedliner you use. I think glossy black with accents of flat back would accually look pretty bad ***..my .02....
Old 05-13-2011, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: I-6 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Xjtim
You may have to do some prep work, sanding cleaning, and maybe primer. I think it depends on the bedliner you use. I think glossy black with accents of flat back would accually look pretty bad ***..my .02....
I know about the prep by my first problem is getting the clip off lol. And what bedliner you think? Herculimer? Or something else?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

If you coat all the trim with bed liner I think it would look good.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Mine is a 94 and should be very similar if not the same steps.

Remove side markers and headlight bezels
Remove grille. should be a few screws between the gaps of the grille.
Across the top of the header panel there are some torx head bolts...remove all those. On each end there are 2 10mm bolts ( i think 10 mm) facing up and 1 that point twards the front of the grille (infront of the battery and infront of the air box)
Remove the 2 bolts that are not torx heads...they are 7mm or something small. ONe on each side of the hood latch.
At this point you should be able to lift the shroud and efan off. Remove efan wires and hose to radiator cap.
Remove the 4 bolts that are where the side markers were, these are the four that hold the header panel to the fenders.
Might have missed a bolt or 2 but its really easy if you just look around at the pieces. The headlights and parking lights do not have to be removed, just the wires unplugged.

Takes about 20-30 mins to figure it all out. I did mine last night while changing my radiator and condensor. I had never done it before and found it very easy to remove the front clip.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Engine: 4.0

The front clip is pretty simple, Just start removing the grill and lights and you will figure it out. I think there are a few bolts under the hood as well

I did my bumpers with bedliner two years ago, and they are still in pretty nice shape. It seems to take bumps and scratches better than any other paint would/could

Dont forget that bedliner attracts dirt like CRAZY. My bumpers always look dirty. Even after I wash it, they are still dirty. If I get on it with a brush I can get them clean, but a day or two of driving and they are dirty again.

just a thought
Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by cf1k1

I know about the prep by my first problem is getting the clip off lol. And what bedliner you think? Herculimer? Or something else?
Dunno.. Lol I haven't taken the clip off mine yet lol. I think duplicator makes a nice bedliner from what I hear.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

remove the head light plastic bezel's ... the black thing around the head lights and the turn signals... remove the turn signal's and let hang. There are two 10mm nuts on either side of the clip. One is on the top inside the hood and the other is next to the turn signal. Then on top of the radiator and inside the grill is six or so T20 or T25 torx head screws. Remove those. Over by the air box is your headlights and turn signal wiring harness with connector. Unplug connector and gently start pulling on the whole front clip as it's loose now. The bottom two 10mm nuts are on a stud that stick out a little far and may cause you to get stuck on it. The two options are to yank carefully and remove it that way or take off the bumper caps if you have those on still. Either way it's pretty easy. The rest of the stuff you can leave on. Also it's best to have a second person to give you a hand when pulling it. Heres what my 00 looks like everytime I have yanked it off. If you do this enough times you can get it off of the xj in around 15 minutes... at least that is how long it seems to take me.
Attached Thumbnails Removing front clip...-truck-jeep-bumpers-004.jpg   Removing front clip...-truck-jeep-bumpers-005.jpg