Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Carpet Below Floor Mats?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Removing Carpet Below Floor Mats?

Has anyone ever just removed the carpet on the floor and then put floor mats in its place?
I am dealing with wet carpet and am wanting to remove it. I keep hearing about the noise and heat problems though as well as the huge gap that would be around the console. I was just thinking about tracing my floor mats (rugged ridge) and then cutting out just the carpet below the mat, which is where the problem is anyway.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by SIarcher
Has anyone ever just removed the carpet on the floor and then put floor mats in its place? I am dealing with wet carpet and am wanting to remove it. I keep hearing about the noise and heat problems though as well as the huge gap that would be around the console. I was just thinking about tracing my floor mats (rugged ridge) and then cutting out just the carpet below the mat, which is where the problem is anyway. Any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks
I've got rugged ridge floor mats and no carpet. The mats slide around a little but it doesn't really bother me.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Carpet Below Floor Mats?-image-8305867.jpg   Removing Carpet Below Floor Mats?-image-2955441534.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

The carpet has virtually ALL of the sound-dampening attached as the backing (yeah, that gray matte-fibre stuff!). If you cut it out, your rig will become a lot louder.

As for heat, the only place you really need to worry about it is along the trans tunnel. The PO on my rig pulled the carpet and rhino-lined the tub. If I drove it with flip flops by gas foot would get scorched nicely!

I ended up reinstalling soundproofing and a carpet from a JY heap. Add reflective heat shielding over the trans tunnel.

Basically, your rig will get louder, but no hotter!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

The carpet in my Jeep was shot when I got it, so I threw it out immediately and put down rubber mats. It's loud as hell and the tunnel does get pretty hot.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:58 PM

Engine: 4.0, 60mm TB, 784's

Why is the carpet wet? Just from wet/snowy feet?
Old 04-12-2016, 04:28 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by JeepTrick68
Why is the carpet wet? Just from wet/snowy feet?
The floor gets wet partially from wet/snowy feet and such but it also gets wet sometimes when it rains.
I just don't want my floor pans to rust out from being wet.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Sounds like you just need to take better care of them and reap the rewards of having them in place. like roll up the windows when it rains or find the leak, buy a better set of floor mats that hold all the snow/water/dirt in them till you dump them outside. If the carpet does happen to get wet make sure to dry it out very well (not hard to do at all).

After I bought my XJ I removed all the carpet and cleaned it and all the metal under underneath sanded a little then primed and painted the floors all rattle can. There was only a few small surface rust spots on it. Did this on a Sat with my Grandson 11 at the time, he sanded the floor, I painted mostly all was finished by the end of the day and we reinstalled the carpet about 9 pm that evening.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did similar to Fred/NOAZZ. Had wet carpets on drivers side. Removed carpet, sanded and then applied rust converter to all floors. After it cured I applied undercoating.

The leak was coming in through the firewall (above pedals, running down and wetting carpet from bottom up) so I used ribbed plastic matting to separate carpet from the water while maintaining a small air space.

Shortly after I found the source of the leak. It was coming through the hood latch cable grommet and after sealing it has not leaked since.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I pulled all of my carpet and haven't noticed any extra heat. It's slightly noisier, but not too bad. I plan on Raptor lining it toward the end of spring and just replacing the front carpet.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L I6

check my build log. i bedlined my floorpan. no regerts
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by joemomma22
check my build log. i bedlined my floorpan. no regerts
lol! Were you eating a Milky Way?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:27 PM

My Jeep carpet was moldy from a leaky windshield when I bought it. I had no choice but to get rid of it. I drove around for awhile with no flooring. It was horrible! It was loud and HOT! I live in Phoenix, which adds to the problem. I put in Dynamat, which helped with the sound, but did nothing for the heat. The Dynamat wasn't cheap and was sticky and gooey in the Phx heat. I was desperate to resolve the heat situation, so I picked up a roll of Reflectix (silver bubbly stuff) from Lowes and put a layer of that on the floors. I then bought some ACC vinyl flooring to complete the floors. Once I was done, the heat and noise situation was fixed, but f I had to do it again, I would not buy the vinyl flooring. "Precut and molded" my ***! It was one big square piece of vinyl. I had to cut all the holes and the edges. It's been over 2 years since I put this in and it still doesn't lay flat. One other suggestion I would make is to save the old carpet to use as a template if you end up replacing it with something else. This project took me a week to do and I never want to have to do it again. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by R1GRL
My Jeep carpet was moldy from a leaky windshield when I bought it. I had no choice but to get rid of it. I drove around for awhile with no flooring. It was horrible! It was loud and HOT! I live in Phoenix, which adds to the problem. I put in Dynamat, which helped with the sound, but did nothing for the heat. The Dynamat wasn't cheap and was sticky and gooey in the Phx heat. I was desperate to resolve the heat situation, so I picked up a roll of Reflectix (silver bubbly stuff) from Lowes and put a layer of that on the floors. I then bought some ACC vinyl flooring to complete the floors. Once I was done, the heat and noise situation was fixed, but f I had to do it again, I would not buy the vinyl flooring. "Precut and molded" my ***! It was one big square piece of vinyl. I had to cut all the holes and the edges. It's been over 2 years since I put this in and it still doesn't lay flat. One other suggestion I would make is to save the old carpet to use as a template if you end up replacing it with something else. This project took me a week to do and I never want to have to do it again. Good luck with whatever you decide.
How much did all that cost? I saw factory fit molded carpet on Amazon for $160.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

I attempted the "pre-molded" vinyl floor kit as well. It was a disaster. I only ended up using the part that goes in front of the rear seats. The rest of it wouldn't fit, no matter how hard I tried, so I cut it off and tossed it.