Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receiver front bumper options

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Receiver front bumper options

Looking for a front bumper for my cherokee that has a receiver in it for my winch thats on a receiver plate. I have looked at lots of options but some places do not have pics or good description of mounting. I see them from $150 up to $1000, and I'm not afraid to spend the money, but I need to know its for a good reason! I have frame stiffeners from HD in the front, so that helps with having a solid place to mount the bumper. Any thoughts? I would usually build one myself, but time is an issue lately
Old 06-28-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by elkwagn
Looking for a front bumper for my cherokee that has a receiver in it for my winch thats on a receiver plate. I have looked at lots of options but some places do not have pics or good description of mounting. I see them from $150 up to $1000, and I'm not afraid to spend the money, but I need to know its for a good reason! I have frame stiffeners from HD in the front, so that helps with having a solid place to mount the bumper. Any thoughts? I would usually build one myself, but time is an issue lately
Oh boy you will get answers all over the place man. The Internet is your friend on here. Pictures of different types, sizes, styles. Heck you can order a custom one just for you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for bumpers so I will list manufacturers that sell bumpers with hitches and some of them you can custom order one from! All bumpers will have the initial three holes to bolt to your frame. Some may come with additional tie-in brackets to bolt into more holes for better recovery and towing strength (what you want for winching). JCR makes very reliable ones that you can order by themselves.

JCR
Dirtbound Offroad
Olympic

JCR

JCR

Dirtbound

Dirtbound
Old 06-28-2015, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

JCR FTW.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

i got the old style jcr, before they added all the holes for lights & hi lift points. now i would get the dirt bound .thats how i do my winch too, that way its in the garage when i aint wheelin.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Went ahead and ordered the JCR, been looking at them for months anyhow. I actually like the winch on a receiver for a lot of reasons, first so I can use it in the front OR rear on demand, second I can store it inside out of the elements, and third because I use it on my car trailer constantly also!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:56 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

You're going to need those the in brackets. JCR says they are not included with bumper. Make sure you get them if you want to tow and winch.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by elkwagn
Went ahead and ordered the JCR, been looking at them for months anyhow. I actually like the winch on a receiver for a lot of reasons, first so I can use it in the front OR rear on demand, second I can store it inside out of the elements, and third because I use it on my car trailer constantly also!
That's a nice bumper. If your going to store it inside your jeep I saw a post were a guy welded in a receiver mount into the back of his XJ to keep the winch and cradle secure and easy to get out. That amount of weight loose in an accident is bad news.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Receiver mounts are not the ideal way to setup a winch, at least a good front mounted winch/bumper at the very least. Then if you really think its needed a rear receiver one for a lighter duty winch (5k) is ok as long as no heavy side pulls are done or a heavy load is pulled.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

9000lbs of straight line pull........no strain on a bumper.......only $101 shipped.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Why not lose the winch cradle and put the winch on a winch bumper?Off road you can drive around with the winch in the hitch and it sticks out enough to kill your approach and departure angles,Or only put it in when you need it which could be a pain depending how your stuck.With it on the bumper its tucked up enough not to mess with your approach and departure angles and when you get stuck just get out and pull cable.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Why not lose the winch cradle and put the winch on a winch bumper?Off road you can drive around with the winch in the hitch and it sticks out enough to kill your approach and departure angles,Or only put it in when you need it which could be a pain depending how your stuck.With it on the bumper its tucked up enough not to mess with your approach and departure angles and when you get stuck just get out and pull cable.
x2 ^^ what he said
Old 07-01-2015, 06:22 AM

I like the simplicity of Logans front bumper
http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/jeep-c...nt-bumper.html

However being new to the XJ, I have never seen one in person?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by Stepsride
I like the simplicity of Logans front bumper
http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/jeep-c...nt-bumper.html

However being new to the XJ, I have never seen one in person?
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f9/buy...roducts-55361/
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

50 bucks more http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...runner-xj.html or same price with out the light hoop http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...er-bar-xj.html
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Receiver mounts are not the ideal way to setup a winch, at least a good front mounted winch/bumper at the very least. Then if you really think its needed a rear receiver one for a lighter duty winch (5k) is ok as long as no heavy side pulls are done or a heavy load is pulled.

Please explain...I don't want to mess up anything on my jeep. I am building front and rears with receivers so I can use a winch. I have used both bumper mount and hitch mount on my F-150 without any problems, and prefer the hitch. With a class IV/V hitch you should be good (18,000lbs GTW)

Quick Reply: Receiver front bumper options