Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spring shackle bolt snapped!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear spring shackle bolt snapped!

Hi, so i have a welding project lined up already with my friend to fix the passenger side front shackle, it is already rinded out on the frame side, so i can weld in a new plate with a nut welded on the inside for the bolt.. i just snapped the upper bolt on the rear one!!! should i do the same (gind it out and weld in a new plate with a hole line up..) or is there a shackle relocation kit that i should use instead to avoid a bigger project?? im itchin to get my project on the road (well, off it, really) asap.... thanks in advance..
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is shackle relocation kits http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/...relocation-kit http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1117.html or even a spring slider http://www.liquidironindustries.com/...roductid=18222
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

The shackle relocation kits require you use the stock hole. The nut it goes into is held on by a single tack weld. If you take your rear bumper off there's an indention between the 8 bolt holes. Cut out in between the holes with a grinder and it opens the end of the frame rail up to access that nut. A couple wacks with prybar and BFH or air hammer should be enough to knock the weld lose and you can remove the broken off bolt.

There's enough room to fit a shallow socket or wrench inside the frame rail to hold a new nut in place for a new bolt. Mopar dealers can still get you the bolt. I paid like $6 or 7 a piece for them a couple months ago.

In the future, if you mix acetone and auto trans fluid 50/50 in a spray bottle it makes an awesome penetrating fluid. Much better than anything you can buy out there. Just be aware it's very flammable and can eat through plastic (so don't get it on the gas tank).

You can see the holes where I'm talking about cutting here:

Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0
Smile

Thank you that makes a lot of scence, I am going to do just that! I'll post an update when she's all set. And will try the penetration mix you suggested as well.