Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake line crack

Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Rear brake line crack

I'm installing a rustys 4.5" lift. It came with a rear brake line extension bracket called " the z bar" or something like that. I went to loosen the brake line to slide it out of the stock bracket, and brake fluid started leaking. So I tightened it back up and it didn't stop.

Upon further inspection, it was leaking on the side with the metal brake line (not the rubber hose side) from right above the bolt. So I'm assuming I cracked the brake line right before the bolt. It dripped out pretty fast and within an hour, I'm out of brake fluid.

What action do I need to take to fix this? Also, what do I need to do to ensure my brakes work properly after the fix (bleeding etc)?

Once fixed, I'm going to forget about using the extension bracket, and buy an extended brake hose. My wheels and tires are scheduled to get mounted and aligned on Monday, so I don't have time to wait for an extended brake hose to get here, my lift needs to be finished by tomorrow. I know brake hoses that are stock on certain wranglers fit to Cherokees and are also a bit longer, and will suffice for my lift needs. What year and model wrangler should I tell the auto parts store that I need the hose for?

Thanks in advance, I really need some help guys.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Get a rear line from a 95 wrangler.

Fill the MC with fluid and let it gravity bleed down to the block at the axle end, bolt hard lines together, then bleed at each cylinder after the gravity bleeding shows up at the wheel.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Get a rear line from a 95 wrangler.

Fill the MC with fluid and let it gravity bleed down to the block at the axle end, bolt hard lines together, then bleed at each cylinder after the gravity bleeding shows up at the wheel.
I guess I probably should have mentioned I have a 99 xj, will the 95 wrangler still work?

What about the cracked brake line at the stock bracket on the frame? That's my first obstacle to tackle.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by McGeeXJ

I guess I probably should have mentioned I have a 99 xj, will the 95 wrangler still work?

What about the cracked brake line at the stock bracket on the frame? That's my first obstacle to tackle.
Yes the line will work, it's about 3" longer than stock. Or a dodge Dakota rear line is about 6" longer but I haven't ever found a definitive year for it.

Ah. I misread the post. You will need to cut and re flare the rear brake line with a fitting for the new rear soft line first. Don't know what to do about the bracket that holds it on the frame rail depending on where that crack is. This is why I don't like extension kits. Longer lines are better in the long run.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94

Yes the line will work, it's about 3" longer than stock. Or a dodge Dakota rear line is about 6" longer but I haven't ever found a definitive year for it.

Ah. I misread the post. You will need to cut and re flare the rear brake line with a fitting for the new rear soft line first. Don't know what to do about the bracket that holds it on the frame rail depending on where that crack is. This is why I don't like extension kits. Longer lines are better in the long run.
Okay, this makes sense. The crack is right at the bolt on the hard line side of the bracket. I have no idea how to cut, re flare, or properly bleed my brake lines. So I will be doing some research tonight.

Any tips or suggestions? Thanks for the help btw.