Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An REAL cold air intake --PICTURES--

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default An REAL cold air intake --PICTURES--

Hey guys,

just wanted to share my new cold air intake system. I am living in the United Arabic Emerates and we have around 120F during the middle of the day. I feld an huge difference with my stroker on hot engine and cold engine. So I tryed to sepoerate the filter and this and that, but nothing made me happy. Now I changed the filter to an closed filter and connected the hose to the kabin which have AC and therwith REAL cold air. Sure there is an noise, but for me in an acceptable limit. The engine now dosn't lose any HP from the hot engine bay ant air temp and I have the impression that it also keeps the engine a little cooler, but this is to early to say after few days only.

Befor

After

Befor

After

Befor

After
Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

thats cool, where did u get the air box thing(blue)?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee90
thats cool, where did u get the air box thing(blue)?
Thanks, and it whas just few minutes to install!

The "blue box" is the K&N Apollo universal filter. You can find it here:
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

pic's on the inside? And you could also insulate the intake tube from the firewall all the way to the throtle body. Looks good, I like the idea.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Black
pic's on the inside? And you could also insulate the intake tube from the firewall all the way to the throtle body. Looks good, I like the idea.
You are right! The aluminium tube should be insolated. Thought of this as well. Also I need good ring clambs to fix everything properly. First I wanted to see if it have an effect to the engine and now when I feel that is the "right thing" I have to get things properly fixed and insolated. Before I had the idea to maybe connect it to the cowl bowl only.

Here are the pics from inside!

Befor

After
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 AM

I velocity stack on the end may help a bit also. Cool idea
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

just turn on the air conditioning to give it more power lol jk

how much did the kit cost you? i cant seem to find a price anywhere
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
just turn on the air conditioning to give it more power lol jk

how much did the kit cost you? i cant seem to find a price anywhere
I am here in the Arabian Emirates and the prices here are properly different then in the states. I payed 120$ for the Apollo filter and 5$ for some junk yard intake hoses.

EDIT: found it at summit racing : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-RC-5052AB/

For the 4.0l you have 1% HP increase for every 10F cooler air, but ofcause the AC kompressor costs much more HP then the cold air can give back. In my case it dosn't matter. The AC run anyway and even if the AC is of, it will still take the coldest air possible.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Very well thought out. One of the best homemade ones I have seen. Only thing else comparable is a snorkle. Is it loud inside the cabin with it there?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

ONly down side is you have given fumes from the combustion process easy access to the inside of your rig. All motors.. no matter how well tuned they are recirc some spent fumes into the air filter.... as motors get more wear.. the more blow back/spent gasses come. Cool Idea... just not for me
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

This would be an easy setup to adapt to the "cowl" induction setup.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

nice but to many bends. the straightest path to the least resistance. your air path is nowhere near straight as the stock set-up is. it causing turbulance. sorry, not trying to be a jerk;just want you to be informed on whats really goin on.

Will it hurt performance?? yes but not enough to notice in the seat of pants, it will still sound like its breathing better.

all i did was cut the front of my stock box off to the point where i can still usethe lid. then i slid a 2.5" exhaust pipe in the ribbed part commimg off the tb to smooth out the air.

got to admit though thats is def thinking out side the box; no pun intended.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Nice man looks cool, ha ha get it...
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Year: 96

So does that mean u always need the AC on?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
Very well thought out. One of the best homemade ones I have seen. Only thing else comparable is a snorkle. Is it loud inside the cabin with it there?
Thanks.... Yes you can here an kind if sucking noice, but it is for me in an aceptable limit.

Originally Posted by PingPong
ONly down side is you have given fumes from the combustion process easy access to the inside of your rig. All motors.. no matter how well tuned they are recirc some spent fumes into the air filter.... as motors get more wear.. the more blow back/spent gasses come. Cool Idea... just not for me
Well.... I have 2000 Miles on my new stroker, so no need to worry for the near future..... thanks for the warning, specialy if the nitrous comes back to the kabin, I would have a "funny" problem

Originally Posted by OEJ
nice but to many bends. the straightest path to the least resistance. your air path is nowhere near straight as the stock set-up is. it causing turbulance. sorry, not trying to be a jerk;just want you to be informed on whats really goin on.

Will it hurt performance?? yes but not enough to notice in the seat of pants, it will still sound like its breathing better.

all i did was cut the front of my stock box off to the point where i can still usethe lid. then i slid a 2.5" exhaust pipe in the ribbed part commimg off the tb to smooth out the air.

got to admit though thats is def thinking out side the box; no pun intended.
Absolutly right! This will be changed with my next garage visit. It is now made of several different parts and has to be smoothen, insolatad and straigted.

I wanted to see if it works, befor I spend $$$ on any custom piping works

Originally Posted by blackpearl96
So does that mean u always need the AC on?
If the AC is off..... it still will get the air from the kabin and therwith cooler then the air from the engine bay.

Quick Reply: An REAL cold air intake --PICTURES--