Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE1131 "Extreme" duty Sway Bar Disconnect Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Unhappy RE1131 "Extreme" duty Sway Bar Disconnect Opinions?

Wondering if anyone has any opinions of the RE1131 "Extreme" duty sway-bar disconnects.

I called RE up begging them to help me after their $hit quality sway-bar endlink adapter block stripped out on me (go figure, use the worst quality aluminum for the threads, and good quality steel for the bolt, what do those idiots think would have happened?).

The guy on the phone did take pity on me after telling me that RE decided to discontinue the horrid design, and I told him they were only 8 months old, and offered me a set of 1131 "extreme" duty discos for $110 (I can only assume that price doesn't cover any sort of shipping).

I cant tell if the "extreme" duty moniker indicates that they are actually built well, or just "extreme" as in the amount of bull**** they sell (because I honestly cant tell), but I figure I would see if anyone has a set that could comment on their build quality.

Initially, I wanted a well built and quiet set of quick discos, but couldn't afford JKS ones so I settled on the RE Gen2 kit. Joke's on me, I should have gotten the JKS ones for $40 more because now I really cant afford either (and wasted $120 on the RE kit in the end anyways). Lesson learned, but I definately cant afford the JKS kit right now, and I am wondering if I should just go with another (cheaper) brand because I am pretty pissed over the whole "sorry, sucks that you bought that part but we no longer have them in production". I feel like JKS would have helped me out more, but I haven't had to warranty anything from them yet (because its built well).

Pic of the ****ty adapter block they actually put into production (mine is in backwards, but the threads disintegrated for the beginning 1/3 of the block).

Last edited by investinwaffles; 05-11-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 SE
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Pretty crappy customer service and parts quality. I have the jks quicker disconnects and they are top shelve.
I would suggest taking what you got and getting someone to fab up the stripped parts and be done with it.
I'd do it for ya if you're close
Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Denver.

Honestly, I thought about drilling it out and tapping it, but I really just wanted a solid part to begin with. They weren't cheap, but i bought them thinking they were good quality but in fact they were not. The part should have been made of billit or something a bit stronger than what they used.

I have been looking over the 1131 kit, and it does seem to be of decent quality. Definately a JKS knockoff, but also $50 cheaper which is more substantial to me than it should be (given my current financial situation, which is broke).
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Like I have always said "I'm to Poor to buy cheap", how many times can you afford too buy sets of disconnects

Bite the bullet the first time, you will soon forget the cost!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Like I have always said "I'm to Poor to buy cheap", how many times can you afford too buy sets of disconnects

Bite the bullet the first time, you will soon forget the cost!
I am finally taking everyone's advice. $130 and change, but I honestly dont really trust RE any more -- they used to have good quality hardware but everything has gone the cheap made in china route unfortunately.

Bid on a set of JKS "blemished" swaybar disco's just now and won. The RE's made a ton of creaking noises anyways so I am kind of happy to just get them out of there. Might donate them to my friend and see if we can drill the threads out and countersink a nut in or something.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JKS-SWAY-BAR-DISCONNECTS-97-06-JEEP-WRANGLER-TJ-84-01-CHEROKEE-XJ-COMANCHE-MJ-/351391875459?hash=item51d0968183&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true

This just says so much about JKS and quality manufactures. You can even buy the little zerk cap that comes with the kit if you loose yours;
http://jksmfg.com/c-397934-replaceme...isconnect.html

EDIT:
And I dont really mean to blast RE or throw them under the bus. I have their 4.5" lift kit on my XJ and I am mostly happy with it for the price I paid, but when something is sold with a "lifetime" warranty and I call in for a simple $5 part and get told to eat the cost of a brand new kit, it ruffles my feathers a bit.

Snap-on would have given me a brand new wrench on the spot...

Last edited by investinwaffles; 05-12-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 SE

One quick plug for JKS. The click pin on one of my discos broke the pull ring off. Called them with intentions of buying replacement. They sent me a small bag of them gratis.