Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE 4.5" Superflex to 3.5" Superflex... lift reduction

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default RE 4.5" Superflex to 3.5" Superflex... lift reduction

I've been thinking about taking an inch out of my suspension. The only difference in these two lifts are the rear shackles.. The 4.5" comes with 1" longer rear shackles.. other than that the 3.5" shares the same parts.

I have a 3/4" spacer on top of the factory isolator up front to level it out.

So if I remove my rear RE shackles and install the OE shackles and remove the front 3/4" spacers that should take 1" out..

Anyone see any potential issues taking 1" out? Change in driveline angles? I have a Currie SYE..

I may need to remove the transfercase drop spacers.. I also have ss flex lines that were installed to accommodate the 4.5" lift. I may need to swap out the Rancho RS9000 shocks for a set that works with 3.5" lift.

Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

why are you running t-case spacers and a SYE? Get rid of the tcase spacers, your SYE fixes that issue. You wont have any issues by dropping an Inch. If you have adjustable control arms, you might need to adjust those a hair. You might also need to adjust your track bar.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
why are you running t-case spacers and a SYE? Get rid of the tcase spacers, your SYE fixes that issue. You wont have any issues by dropping an Inch. If you have adjustable control arms, you might need to adjust those a hair. You might also need to adjust your track bar.
Yeah I have adjustable arms and track bar. I was told the transfer case spacers were required. It was getting slight vibrations which I was told was hit and miss with a NP242. I read some get it some don't... installer said mine did.

The lift actually nets out at 5.25"... I wasn't in the position to go to battle with the installer or troubleshoot the vibes at the time, so the spacers stayed. The right rear RE spring never felt right - appeared tighter than the driver side. I wasn't super happy with the installer. But they are well known in this area and specialized in XJs..

My RE lift has been on there for many years, but I want to refresh the lift now. Perhaps install a set of Deavers and different shocks. I never really liked the RE rear springs. Originally I was going to install 32x11.5s - but decided against it. I don't want to re-gear.

What I would have done different is install a HD SYE which wasn't available at the time for the NP242. I see it is now, but my Jeep has been retired and is being restored.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes TC drop kit needs to go and you "may" need some shims in the rear differential, I had to with my SYE. I guess you did get a new driveshaft for the rear when you installed the SYE? Did you rebuild the front shaft also when you lifted it?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 AM

Yes on the rear. No, on the front...

I would have had a new drive shaft installed on the front but the shop owner and I wasn't seeing eye-to-eye.

I don't like doing business with shops that don't allow you in the back to collaborate with the installer.. I went back to state my concerns about the rear passenger spring, but he wasn't receptive. I expected more from a Jeep Speed shop.