Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rc johnny joints trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Just got done doing the rc 6.5 long arm kit on the bus and when went to tighten the flex joint,the adjustable side wasn't so adjustable........it started to thread in and then stopped and broke the(cheap) tool and was stuck. Went to other side and same thing, but was able to get off with only bending another bolt on tool. After taking it a part and removing the adjustable side. It looks as if they drilled the hole for set screw that locks the adjustable peice threw the threads that the adjustable peice screws into and didn't clean the threads. The problam is I can't get it to screw down far enough to tighten joint properly. Well this being my daily driver and weekend being over, I cleaned the threads what I could and put a good size washer in and was able to tighten, and still have adjustable part in far enough. Well having to go back to the first side to get out the adjustable peice cause it was in far enough to be safe or tight, had to use punch to knock it back around, but got it out. Same thing drilled through the threads with out being cleaned up! I did the same thing with washer/and clean threads was able to get in same spot as other side.I was able to get set screws set also. I drove home and it drove great. I am calling rc in am and telling them I want two new joints cause this isn't right, they should thread in easly new(the uppers did), with there cheap tool. I still couldnt get either side far enough to not use washers. Is this ok to drive like this until I get with rc and get switched out. It also need a front end alignment to, can I do tomarrow or would I be wasn't money, just don't want to wear my tires. Do u think Ill have troulble with rc getting replaced? Any help or input would be sweet. Sorry so long. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails rc johnny joints  trouble-forumrunner_20110828_203356.jpg  

Last edited by the short bus; 08-28-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 HO

Nice color jeep!