Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on cherokee lift..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Questions on cherokee lift..

I know that there have been many many questions and threads about xj lifts on here but I want to ask one for my specific case.
I have a 99 Cherokee that is bone stock with the exception of a hitch and western plow mount. I got a hell of a deal on this jeep with only 100k on it.
I had a junk jeep with 33s and a 2.5 ish inch lift with cut fenders. I bought it like that and took off the rims tires and lift and scrapped the jeep.
My question on my jeep is where to start. I want to end up with about 5 inches of lift, and mildly cut the fenders and, so the 33s will fit comfortably under it. Where should I start? Money is a bit of a factor, however shop space, and time are not. What shocks should I run? I was looking at the rough country ones..they seem decent for about 120. Should I look into buying a whole new lift kit or just piece together one from the junk yard? I have read a few threads about this but I am not sure where to start and what all I would need. I prefer to start with brand new things because they just seem better to work with. I also want to know what is the best SYE for a budget build? Where should I look for the adjustable control arms and the control arm relocators? Who makes a reasonable brake line extender kit? Who makes a quick release sway bar kit? What else do I need?

Any and all help/suggestions would be appreciated, This is my first lift build.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Rough country are great shocks im running them on both of our trucks including my XJ
As for lift you can piece together but it may be more of a headache to just buy a package.... rustysoffroad has good deals at times
Also a sye for a little lift??? dont know if its necessary
Im running 7 inches of lift with a tcase drop and no sye
ALso if interested i have some 6.5 inch lift blocks that are SOLID STEEL i could sell
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by stereodesigner
Rough country are great shocks im running them on both of our trucks including my XJ
As for lift you can piece together but it may be more of a headache to just buy a package.... rustysoffroad has good deals at times
Also a sye for a little lift??? dont know if its necessary
Im running 7 inches of lift with a tcase drop and no sye
ALso if interested i have some 6.5 inch lift blocks that are SOLID STEEL i could sell
rough country 2.2s are great.. the dirt-cheap ones are terrible IMO
the link in my signature has almost all of the lifts and you can get for an XJ organized by size,price, and it shows what comes with them (with links) I would go with a new kit because it is easier and everything SHOULD hold up + most companies offer a warrenty. The good kits will come with everything you need (arms, brake lines, shocks, everything except driveshafts)

with 5" you will prolly want to get an SYE, there are the cheap hack- and tap ones but I would spend the money and get a good kit (I have the advanced adapters and havent had a problem yet).

you will probably want to get some new driveshafts- I really like tom-woods, nice chunk of $$ but I have broken one (actually broke at axle not shaft itself.. got beat up on the road) and he sent another for free even though I was 2 months out of warrenty

there is a bunch of different brands of the quick-discos.. I have the jks and love em... but they are slightly more$$... you should be able to find more in anyof those websites in the link in my sig.

Last edited by Ianf406; 10-27-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

all that being said, I love Iron Rock Offroad.. they come with everything you need, at a decent price... and it all fitted perfectly. I am not a fan of going to the junkyard because I like knowing my stuff is new so If it breaks its 1.) my fault, or 2.) the companies fault.. either way you can usually get it new with the warrenty
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM

so what if I went with like a rough country 6.5 long arm kit and a SYE? I would like to do it right the first time, I know transfer case drops work for some, but for others you still get vibes(from what I have read).
What kind of SYE are you guys running? and how much do they run?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-WRANGLE...ht_2381wt_1103

looking at all different sources, this one popped up...they all seem like the same basic thing..how does this one look? it seems reasonably priced enough
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

You have many options. Ive ran rubicon express, OME, and currently on a Rusty's lift. I like the rusty kit the most. I've used both RE hack n tap and advanced adapters SYE. I like the SYE better. But I've never had a issue w the hack n tap. Woods shafts are worth the money period! There's a fella on the forum who has a website seriousoffroadproducts.com.
He makes a killer long arm upgrade. He also does a killer 1 ton steering setup.
If money is a issue but you want to do it "right."
Take your time and buy things as money permits. There's really no one way to lift. There's alot of ways. Look for quality fabricated parts. American steel. Maybe American made.
My discrepancy with company's like RC, Procomp and the such is that it's Chinese.
As for shocks. Almost all shocks are made by the same yo yo. Unless you get into the fancy shocks. But the Bilstein 5100 or 5150's are best for the money I think.
Check out this site. His book is worth the read for sure.
http://www.ericsxj.com/
Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 07Negative
You have many options. Ive ran rubicon express, OME, and currently on a Rusty's lift. I like the rusty kit the most. I've used both RE hack n tap and advanced adapters SYE. I like the SYE better. But I've never had a issue w the hack n tap. Woods shafts are worth the money period! There's a fella on the forum who has a website seriousoffroadproducts.com.
He makes a killer long arm upgrade. He also does a killer 1 ton steering setup.
If money is a issue but you want to do it "right."
Take your time and buy things as money permits. There's really no one way to lift. There's alot of ways. Look for quality fabricated parts. American steel. Maybe American made.
My discrepancy with company's like RC, Procomp and the such is that it's Chinese.
As for shocks. Almost all shocks are made by the same yo yo. Unless you get into the fancy shocks. But the Bilstein 5100 or 5150's are best for the money I think.
Check out this site. His book is worth the read for sure.
http://www.ericsxj.com/
Thanks for the info, I definitely want to do it right but if there is an equally as good way to do it for less money I want to do it.
I did read a few write up on the hack and tap, it seems alot easier than tearing apart your transfer case? is there a brand i should stay away from if im looking into getting a hack and tap?
I read 2 writeups, one saying you needed to take one cover off your transfer case, the other said you dont..thats the only part that confused me..

I have compiled a list of stuff that I would like to get over the next month or 2, let me know if you see anything wrong with it or anything I should add

-6.5 long arm kit from rough country, i found it for about 900 shipped plus it comes with all the brake lines and disconnects for the sway bars
-quadratec speedo gear
-hack and tap. unsure of what brand to go with..I saw one in a forum, they claimed it was 250 shipped with the drive shaft, didnt say what brand

I also plan on getting a warrior roof rack, seems like the best for the money, any suggestions there?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

check out www.jcroffroad.com .. if I got a roofrack, that is the one I would get
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Year: 91

just buy a lift , mismatched parts dont work well together, ou can buy a nice rough country lift for 300- 700 depending on how big you want to go! plus most kits will come w/ shocks that work best for that lift
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
check out www.jcroffroad.com .. if I got a roofrack, that is the one I would get
damn i really like the rack..do you have the low profile one?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

I had a Rubicon Express hack n tap. Works fine. Read that guys book. It's got alot of good info in it. It could be had on Amazon.com for $7.
Thing you gotta watch out for on forums is the misleading and inaccurate amount of info. Needless to say. There's a copious amount of b.s floating around.
Use some critical thinking. Talk to other jeep folks. Talk to a mechanic. Read (not advertisement).
I frequent a few sites. I'll compare what details I can make out from the photos or a phone call to a company (just don't be annoying). these sites are decent references to read through. I had alot more but my computer was stolen. So I don't have all my book marks any more.
Rustys.com
Dirtboundoffroad.com
Seriousoffroadproducts.com
Teraflex.biz
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/
Ericsxj.com
http://www.deaverspring.com
http://jeep-xj.info/
Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sik_xj
damn i really like the rack..do you have the low profile one?
not yet.. but I will once I get the funds (have to repair my exhaust first) I really like the way it looks I do have their Stage 3 sliders and their front bumper... love them both- they make good stuff!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 PM

More fun to build your own roof rack.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 07Negative
I had a Rubicon Express hack n tap. Works fine. Read that guys book. It's got alot of good info in it. It could be had on Amazon.com for $7.
Thing you gotta watch out for on forums is the misleading and inaccurate amount of info. Needless to say. There's a copious amount of b.s floating around.
Use some critical thinking. Talk to other jeep folks. Talk to a mechanic. Read (not advertisement).
I frequent a few sites. I'll compare what details I can make out from the photos or a phone call to a company (just don't be annoying). these sites are decent references to read through. I had alot more but my computer was stolen. So I don't have all my book marks any more.
Rustys.com
Dirtboundoffroad.com
Seriousoffroadproducts.com
Teraflex.biz
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/
Ericsxj.com
http://www.deaverspring.com
http://jeep-xj.info/

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Questions on cherokee lift..