Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about OBA

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Questions about OBA

Ok, I picked up a Viair OBA system at Jeep Fest down in Denver several weeks ago. I've been too busy working and hitting trails to mess with it, but I should have some time coming up in the next several weeks or so. I have a few questions regarding the plumbing.

I don't really care for the plastic cheapo air lines, as I plan to run plumbing to my front and rear bumpers for air tools, etc. I would love to run braided steel lines, but I'm not sure what I should get. I've never messed with pneumatics. So, what should I get and how do I go about cutting the lines for a tight fit and how do I attach fittings on the end of said lines? I plan on buying an air manifold so I can easily expand my system, as needed.

There will obviously be a build thread coming up in the near future for this one. I'm custom fabricating a bracket out of 1/8" stainless steel diamond plate, as I have a 6'x4' sheet of the stuff. I also plan on running a gauge to either my dash or center console. Hell, I'm probably going to redesign my console out of fiberglass anyway. Any other install tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Personally, the steel braided line is way overkill and is going to cost you way more than it should. The plastic line is much stronger than you'd think it is. You can either use compression fittings or push-in type fittings. I like the push-in type.

What do you intend to run from these tanks?

I'd suggest limiting the size of your tank since you're only running one compressor. It'll take FOREVER for that compressor to fill a front and rear bumper.

Depending on how you plan to plumb it I'd use at least 3/8" lines. Any smaller and you'd have a problem running pneumatic tools.

I'd scratch the air manifold idea. I've learned from past experience that running a manifold serious limits air-flow. I'd suggest running more ports off of the tank rather than one port and a manifold.

Edit: Oh yeah. I was supposed to say "This isn't fabrication." Blah blah blah.

Last edited by Lowrange2; 08-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

I had only planned on running a quick connect to both bumpers. I wasn't planning on filling a tank at both bumpers. The system is a Viair 10007. I planned on running a quick connect connect up front and in back, as well as a third in a location as yet TBD.

Plastic is the way to go, eh? They just seemed cheap for some reason.

I plan to run air for my tires so I can air up after going on a trail, as well as having air for tools and possibly an air horn. I wanted to run one line to either my dash or my center console for a pressure gauge. That's about it. Nothing too fancy. I will eventually install lockers, but I was thinking electronic lockers.