Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUESTION!! converting 91 2PC side glass to 97-01, with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Exclamation QUESTION!! converting 91 2PC side glass to 97-01, with a twist

Hey guys, wanted to lean on the collective expertise here for a second for an odd scenario.

I have a 91 MJ ( i know i'm in the XJ section, but there are a lot more of you than us, so hear me out!) with roll up no power side glass. I was at the local pick-a-part yesterday and came across a 98 XJ 4dr with non-power glass. Maybe i'm nuts or just havent really been looking too hard, but almost every 97-01 xj (4drs at least) has power windows. The doors on the 97 are rusty, where-as my truck is rust free, so swapping the doors isn't an option, so my question is:

Would the glass/trim/guts of a non-power 97-01 XJ door directly swap into a 90 door?

I cant see why it wouldn't work, and the crank position seems to be the same ... but stranger things have happened and before i go and spent the time/money yanking the parts i figured i'd ask!

Some pics for reference:
91 door:

The potential donor doors:

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Where are you located? I have been looking for a pair of manual window regulators for a 97+ for a while. The regulators will not swap to a 96- door, have to swap the whole door. It's an easy enough swap. If I were you, I would grab those regulators and set them aside until you find a mint pair of 97+ doors. If you don't want to do that, let me know how much you want for those regulators shipped to 27909. Not kidding, been catching hell finding a pair.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Where are you located? I have been looking for a pair of manual window regulators for a 97+ for a while. The regulators will not swap to a 96- door, have to swap the whole door. It's an easy enough swap. If I were you, I would grab those regulators and set them aside until you find a mint pair of 97+ doors. If you don't want to do that, let me know how much you want for those regulators shipped to 27909. Not kidding, been catching hell finding a pair.
Good looking out. I'll probably grab the doors and figure it all out later like you said. (and if i decide to sh*t-can the idea, you got dibs.
Out of curiosity, why wont they swap over?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

To add a different viewpoint......
For my '98 xj, i wanted the corner vent windows. Have several sets of doors laying around from my '86, so, took corner vent window and door glass. It required modification but in the end the window goes up and down etc. I just fabbed a bracket to go from new style regulator to old style glass.

So, answer to original question is no, not a direct swap. Can it be done? Absolutely.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Having had similar issues with other vehicles that had identical exterior & interior door panels, my guess is the internal bracing and bracketry is not the same.

I tried to swap out regulators on my old ramcharger from a 78 into a 79, and it worked, as long as you didn't want to roll the window all the way up...it was 1/2" too short.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

Couldn't tell you why they don't swap, just know they don't. Based on internet research. I found that answer in EVERY website/forum I looked, so I tend to believe it. No first hand experience though.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM

That's a bummer, but I'm glad i asked before getting into it!
Thanks for the info, everyone!