Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Control Arm Shims on 3" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Question About Control Arm Shims on 3" Lift

Hi all, I'm about to install a 3" lift on my 96. I don't have the money for aftermarket LCAs so I'm looking to shim my stock lower control arms back to spec. I was reading a chart that said that a 3" lift would need 16" LCAs as opposed to the 15.75" stock arms. This means a quarter inch difference. So my question is, If I were to shim my stock LCAs a 1/4" would this have the same effect, bringing my caster back into spec?

Thanks for any advice,
Taylor
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

At 3" you dont need aftermarket control arms. I ran my jeep with stock arms for 3 years on 3" of lift. Drove great, and your caster shouldnt be affected that much at 3", do you plan on aligning your jeep yourself or something?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM

I know that a 3" lift won't affect caster as much as a 4.5" lift but it will still affect the caster regardless. If I can get the caster back in spec, then I would like to do that. It can't hurt anything, and will only help.

-Taylor
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

It hardly affects the caster. You wont have any bump steer or anything like that. What is it that you're asking? Are you asking if you can get the caster back into spec by adjusting out the arms or what?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM

I'm looking for about how much I need to shim to get the caster back to spec. I think I may have figured it out but I am not sure about my method.

-Taylor
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I just lifted mine 3" and had bump steer. Caster was out bad according to the xj alignment web page everyone links to. I bought an aluminum strip 1/8" thick by 2" wide and 24" long at lowes. I found a shim template on the forum and traced them out and cut out with a hacksaw and 3/8" drill bit. Took just a few min. It took 3 shims on each side to get my caster back to spec. My toe was out bad too. Once I aligned it per the web site it drives great now. Search for my "brown Santa" thread, I've got the links in there.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

Originally Posted by number9
I just lifted mine 3" and had bump steer. Caster was out bad according to the xj alignment web page everyone links to. I bought an aluminum strip 1/8" thick by 2" wide and 24" long at lowes. I found a shim template on the forum and traced them out and cut out with a hacksaw and 3/8" drill bit. Took just a few min. It took 3 shims on each side to get my caster back to spec. My toe was out bad too. Once I aligned it per the web site it drives great now. Search for my "brown Santa" thread, I've got the links in there.

I had the same issue swapped lower arms checked tow all is well now .
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

If you plan on getting an alignment then just let the alignment shop do it, setting the castor is a main part of the alignment. And when you raise or lower you jeep its always going to change the toe-in. Unless you plan on doing an at home alignment, take you jeep to an alignment shop and never worry about it again.

And i had no bumpsteer whatsoever at 3".
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
If you plan on getting an alignment then just let the alignment shop do it, setting the castor is a main part of the alignment. And when you raise or lower you jeep its always going to change the toe-in. Unless you plan on doing an at home alignment, take you jeep to an alignment shop and never worry about it again.

And i had no bumpsteer whatsoever at 3".
No worries here I do my own alignments at home I know how I want my trucks and jeeps to drive .

Just remember every jeep is different !
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks man! This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll use that method of finding the angle with the diff cover bolts. Also, just read through your entire thread and subscribed, nice build you got going there.

I figured I would try the alignment on my own. After the lift is installed, I'm getting new tires and wheels. The installation comes with a free "alignment check" where they'll see what angles your at but won't fix them. I'm curious to see how good a home alignment will come out.

Thanks for the help guys,
Taylor
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Yea, after seeing just how easy the alignment is on these XJ's, I'd not go pay some shop to do it - most of them I encounter now days only do half-*** work anyway.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Just make sure you have a friend handy to hold the tape measure. It'll save you alot of time and will help you make sure your measurements are more accurate.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM

4wheel parts wanted 200 to do an alignment!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM

Yea, after seeing just how easy the alignment is on these XJ's, I'd not go pay some shop to do it - most of them I encounter now days only do half-*** work anyway.

That's why I do my own !
Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Aljay
4wheel parts wanted 200 to do an alignment!
Holy hell thats rediculous. I did mine because i didnt want to pay the 50 bucks my alignment shop wanted. Lol

Quick Reply: Question About Control Arm Shims on 3" Lift