Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting the seat further back

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Putting the seat further back

I'm 6'2" and wish the drivers seat in my 96' 4 door could go back further. My knees are too close to the dash, long drives aren't comfortable. I've swapped in ZJ seats which are much more comfortable. But either way, stock or ZJ seats it's too far forward. If I remember correctly, when swapping seats last year, I could drill holes in the front part of the seat frame to bolt the seat further back, but the rear has no room. I'd have to weld a bracket on there and drill holes.

Has anybody done this? Or is there another solution?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 6'3 so I feel your pain. Stock seats were ok for me, I guess my legs aren't that long, but I swapped WJ overland seats and it was unbearable. I looked like an old lady driving a car, pushed forward even in the furthest setting.

i created some offset brackets, I took 1" wide by 1/4" thick steel (can't remember the length, but probably 2 feet, maybe more?) and drilled 4 holes per bar. both sets of holes have the same distance between them (the distance of the front and rear seat holes), but are offset maybe 2 or 3 inches apart.

when you put that in between the seat and the seat bracket it allows you to push the seat further back. 1/4" thick will make it slightly higher though, so take that into consideration. maybe 3/16" thick bars would be ok, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't bend and it's still fine a year later now.

Last edited by Cane; 10-25-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Misch 4x4 Big Boy seat bracket is what I bought. Helps a lot with the legroom. Headroom on the other hand is another story at 6'4"
Old 10-25-2017, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maddward
Misch 4x4 Big Boy seat bracket is what I bought. Helps a lot with the legroom. Headroom on the other hand is another story at 6'4"
he has a 96 though, the seat bracket on the floor wouldn't work with that I think. well at least from the pics i've seen but maybe they have a version for that. either way i'm happy with my method and it cost 0$. depends on the budget