Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling to the left

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default pulling to the left

I've put new tires on after the gear and locker install was fininshed, BFG A/T. I put the locker in the front. It's pulling to the left at speeds above 65 and I'm afraid it's going to wear out my tires. I installed new ball joints and set the tow, all new axle bearings all the way around. Will the locker up front cause it to pull. I's not bad, just noticable and wasn't there before the locker/gear install.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

brakes man check your brakes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with mine. I installed a Spartan locker in the front and got brand new Cooper Stt's for it. I spent hours trying to get the toe right and the steering wheel straight. Well, I had a brake pull as well. The passenger side caliper piston wouldn't retract when letting off the brake but it didn't lock it up. Just enough to cause some friction. Well. I changed them. Got rid of the brake pull, but still had the pull to the left while driving. I actually made a caster spacer for the LCA bracket for the drivers side only. It kinda "twisted" the front axle to get rid of the pull. It was 90% better but somehow caused some vibes. I think the spacer was too thick so I will try it again with a slimmer one. Other thing I did was lower the psi in the right tire about 1-2 psi lower than the drivers side and it got rid of it totally. Not sure what type of locker you installed but if it's a lunchbox and it's pulling both all the time, uneven tire heights will cause a pull problem. The other thing could also be just a belt pull in the tire. Swap the 2 front tires and see if it switches direction. Goodluck.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM

I'll give it a try. I too just put a Spartan locker up front. It's not the brakes so first I'll try the tires,
Thanks,
Don
Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, just curious to know how you made out. I looked further in to mine again. I did infact get rid of the pull to the left by installing 1/2 the thickness spacer on the LCA caster bracket only on the drivers side. 2 of 3 XJ's in our family have the 4 1/2 lifts and both have the same left pull. I'm gonna try the spacer trick on the other one hopefully this weekend. Hope you find your problem.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks Lyon, so far I haven't found the culprit. It wasn't the tires. I tried the air pressure difference but no go. A shop is going to let me use their lift today so I'll let you know what i find.
Thanks again,
Don