Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled up the carpet/insulation--wow, it's hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pulled up the carpet/insulation--wow, it's hot

Any suggestions about what to do about the scalding hot floor boards and transmission hump? Wow, are they HOT. I have a bad water leak (from rain) that created moldy carpets, so I removed the carpet (jeez, what a job) and used a drill motor with a wire wheel to get most of the glue and insulation debris off the steel. I've had several vehicles with bare steel floors, but none of them were ever this hot. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Low Profile; 06-26-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 IL6

Dyna mat and new carpet
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I'm going to be Monstalining my floors...I've seen mixed things about people's experiences with the extra heat. I don't really want to drop the extra $$ for insulative material such as LizardSkin.

I considered the idea of dropping the trans when I do my undercoating and putting some sort of heat shield undereath, above the trans
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM

That would work too just put a few layers between u and it
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Low Profile
Any suggestions about what to do about the scalding hot floor boards and transmission hump? Wow, are they HOT. I have a bad water leak (from rain) that created moldy carpets, so I removed the carpet (jeez, what a job) and used a drill motor with a wire wheel to get most of the glue and insulation debris off the steel. I've had several vehicles with bare steel floors, but none of them were ever this hot. Any suggestions?

My jeep has a thin rubber layer instead of a carpet, I guess it was OEM for BASIC models, so hot!!!! thinking on installing a real carpet and some insulation as well
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM

I would say maybe dynamat with bed liner over it
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny9Inches
I would say maybe dynamat with bed liner over it
The idea of a matting/padding underneath bedliner doesn't sound good to me. I would think that a roll/spray-in application would be a much better, more solid solution. But, I need to do POR-15 on my rusty floors, so now I'm looking at potentially 3 layers...POR-15, LizardSkin, and finally Monstaliner. I haven't decided for sure on LizardSkin though, it's extra cost and effort and I'm thinking maybe too many layers!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Year: 1995

The steel on the transmission hump gets hot enough to make the waterproofing rubber/sealant around the shift mount to become melted and sticky! I put my hand down there to check the temperature of the steel and got gooey, sticky black rubber sealant on my fingers. I was all for ripping out the insulation and carpet (I couldn't stand the stench of mildew any more) but I had no idea the floorboards and transmission hump would be this freaking hot.

Even if I decided to install aftermarket rubber floor mats, I don't think it would help with the heat from the transmission. I was clueless. I had no idea that an automatic transmission that is operating correctly got this hot! I know a lot of people on JCF have stripped the carpet out of their Cherokees and shot spray-on bedliner. Does this improve the heat situation? It's hard to imagine that it has much of a positive, cooler affect.

For the immediate future I'm just going to run it like it is, but I am definitely open to ideas to mitigate the heat situation. I'm surprised that the air flow under the vehicle doesn't vent more heat away from the transmission than it does.

Would a bigger transmission cooler make any substantial difference?

Last edited by Low Profile; 06-27-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L I6

Last edited by ccooper1234; 06-27-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I'm going to be Monstalining my floors...I've seen mixed things about people's experiences with the extra heat. I don't really want to drop the extra $$ for insulative material such as LizardSkin.

I considered the idea of dropping the trans when I do my undercoating and putting some sort of heat shield undereath, above the trans
Monstaliner does not help with heat. Its an oven in there even with the AC on full blast. I will be putting in fat mat and then new black carpet with mass backing. Hopefully that will make it cooler.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Low Profile
The steel on the transmission hump gets hot enough to make the waterproofing rubber/sealant around the shift mount to become melted and sticky! I put my hand down there to check the temperature of the steel and got gooey, sticky black rubber sealant on my fingers. I was all for ripping out the insulation and carpet (I couldn't stand the stench of mildew any more) but I had no idea the floorboards and transmission hump would be this freaking hot.

Even if I decided to install aftermarket rubber floor mats, I don't think it would help with the heat from the transmission. I was clueless. I had no idea that an automatic transmission that is operating correctly got this hot! I know a lot of people on JCF have stripped the carpet out of their Cherokees and shot spray-on bedliner. Does this improve the heat situation? It's hard to imagine that it has much of a positive, cooler affect.

For the immediate future I'm just going to run it like it is, but I am definitely open to ideas to mitigate the heat situation. I'm surprised that the air flow under the vehicle doesn't vent more heat away from the transmission than it does.

Would a bigger transmission cooler make any substantial difference?
A bigger transmission cooler won't help much. I put in a Hayden 1405 and it didn't help, Its still hot
Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...lation-172561/

A little link in there I found while googling lizard skin.

I'm going to try it out when I repair my floor pan. Also there's onther good info in there about using peel and seal with good results.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

my carpets pulled and the floor is hurculined. the tranny tunnel does get to hot to touch but the floors esspecially with my real tree floor mats are fine,
its great in the winter by the way
Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

I've just got some cheap rubber floor mats in mine, no carpet or insulation, and mine isn't hot at all, I can ride in mine barefoot comfortably. My transmission tunnel doesn't ever get too hot to touch though, and its bare metal. I don't know why y'all are having so many issues with heat.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
I've just got some cheap rubber floor mats in mine, no carpet or insulation, and mine isn't hot at all, I can ride in mine barefoot comfortably. My transmission tunnel doesn't ever get too hot to touch though, and its bare metal. I don't know why y'all are having so many issues with heat.
What's the temperature outside usually. Its not as hot on the divers side than the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Pulled up the carpet/insulation--wow, it's hot