Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

propane over gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4l
Default propane over gas?

buddy of mine bought an older ford f150 that had been converted to propane, when i asked him about it he said its less $ at the pump and more power (i also got the destinct impression he knew nothing more or less and that he got all that from the seller lol).
i also know another guy whos driving a truck his dad modded, older dodge pickup big lift and 36's, hes not mechanicaly inclined and just needed something to get around in and says it realy lacks pickup on the highway (could that just be gearing).

after buddy bro bought his f150 it sparked my interest and im wondering what are the comparable differences, pros, cons of a propane conversion?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You'll have less power with propane, and use more of it. IIRC propane is dry, which means less lubrication. You will also have to find a place to store a big heavy tank lol
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by pickles
You'll have less power with propane, and use more of it. IIRC propane is dry, which means less lubrication. You will also have to find a place to store a big heavy tank lol

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/propane/index.html
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Year: 1996

the only advantage to propane really is the clearence you get when you drop your gas tank and stuff a propane tank in the back like this
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 AM

shes for sale from a guy i know here in vt he says theres really no difference from when he had it gas (called him *** too for the mercedes emblem)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

that link was good, 1 of my quesstions it didnt answer was im wondering how comparable to gas is the mpg. and how comparable is the power (less more, torque less more). and also for the conversion for that money why not just get the factory parts from a junk yard for a comparable price? i still dont realy understand why some1 would make the conversion.(for a carbourated rig the conversion seems ideal for the better angles but i dont get wut else)

the instalation seems straight forward to me but im not into the idea of having the tanks in the cab. id look for something that at the same time gained clearance and have the heavy duty skid plate.

also the link was on a carburated rig, is the conversion do able for an injection system?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tvarney26
shes for sale from a guy i know here in vt he says theres really no difference from when he had it gas (called him *** too for the mercedes emblem)
ya wut the hell was he thinking with a merc badge on an xj???? merc makes great stuff : G-wagon(way too luxuryous to take off road), Mog's(freekin sweet) and im a fan of the 3L I5 diesel's they make... does it have a merc power plant?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

http://www.gotpropane.com/p3.html

found this and learned a little more... however im still not able to get a comparable statistic for mpg.. that problem is because gas and propane are measured differently, gas in liters and gallons and propane in pounds, wut i want is a way to compare these that makes more sense...

i dont know how seriously im thinking of a conversion in my chero as my fuel system is just fine how is and this dosnt seem to entirly fit my applications entirly (say i like interior space).

im also thinking that for fuel miladge that seems very arguable at this point its probably how the person applies it... more how the system is designed is where pros and cons for different applications come out, similar to any fuel.

stll interested to learn more if any1 can give input. thx
Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I've seen a couple of threads lately from our Brit members that mentioned LPG-converted XJs. Indeed lubrication was a problem, also lower density so fuel usage went up but due to price differences the cost was less. Not sure if the TCO would be lower due to lubrication issues though.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

I wonder what the legal ramifications are of converting to propane? It's got to change the classification of the vehicle.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

I believe relevant paperwork is needed, just saw this one.
Tempted to get a 4.0ltr need to sell couple vehicles first,take a look!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEEP-CHERO...4295ed&_uhb=1#
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Seasoned Member

wut kinds of problems would come from the lubrication problem though, bad lubrication causes friction and friction causes heat, the link i posted was saying that its less wear and is better for a longer lifer engine. would it just be as simple as upgrading the cooling system like most of us plan to do anyways?

im on west coast canada so its definetly different motor laws than the states and uk, but im guessing it does change the vehicles clasiffication on the road and is ssomething that needs to be addressed to an insurance company. there is undoubtedly paperwork but iv seen enough other vehicles now that im thinking more of it that this dosnt seem daunting.

that duel-fuel xj is a more practical approach for sure, im interested in whre the tank is and if its injected, the link i posted was going on that the tank should be in open air and protcted and tht a special tank is needed for being inside a car or suv. they also said that propane on injectors is to troublesome to bother with because of the computor. i think it would still act similar to gas and act acordingly to injector or fuel rail upgrades to increase gas miledge ect.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

The lubrication concern is the upper cylinder. Basically the valves. I think you have to change some stuff out or break your seals so they leak oil

Didn't BC Hydro run a bunch of Ford trucks that were LPG combo? Or were they natural gas?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

I work on propane powered equipment almost everyday.

expect slow throttle response, less power, unless you up the C.R

higher fuel consumption rates..FACT!!

but they to burn ultra clean, and next to zero carbon build up.

i have several converted vehicals in my fleet, and they get almost half the milage of a gas truck..period.

My E87 trucks also get approx 30% less milage as the same truck, same load, same route.

this is no B.S, btw, our fleet exceeds 1,000 vehicals.(west coast transportaion hub U.S.M.C.)((non-tactical))

Quick Reply: propane over gas?