Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after installing durango steering box

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Problem after installing durango steering box

Just installed my used durango box with the JCR spacer/plate, topped off with fluid, got all of the air out of the system, and it was turning smooth on the concrete floor in the garage. Go to drive home and the steering is tight and hard to turn under 1000rpm. Above that rpm and it turns smooth and free.

All the air has been bled out of the system and the pump isn't making any noise, and the fluid is at the correct level.

Did some searching and couldn't find anything. Any ideas guys?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Before installing the box did you fully inspect it for damage like on the input and output shafts
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Look for any air bubbles in the ps fluid. They will kind of make the fluid look foamy, just tiny lil bubbles. It is possible to be sucking air in, but not loosing fluid. That would make it act up. If all your lines are right then I would take a guess that the pump is week.

Just had this happen on a honda, brand new pump worked good till fluid warm, no ps under 900 rpms. Was the new pump that was defective.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Usually a pump issue, get an OE one for best results. Ive had issues with the reman units.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the quick replies. it's acting better but still takes a little effort to turn at idle sitting still. We did get majority of the air/foam out of the system before driving it, and I think that maybe the last little bit is working its way out. The used durango box was actually in excellent shape, all the shafts and splines were in near new condition and the box itself has no signs of it previously leaking or having any external damage. Maybe after more driving and turning full lock both ways to rid whatever air may be in the system. I'll also check for any leaks after cleaning up fluid on the box itself.

If the problem doesn't go away soon, I'll start looking into a pump. I wouldn't expect it to go out suddenly after a steering box swap though, as it had no problems turning the stock steering box.