Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably been asked a thousand times but...

Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Probably been asked a thousand times but...

So I need to replace my springs. Badly. I have 3 options

1. 3" Zone kit (need track bar???)

2. 2-2.5" OME springs

3. RE 3.5 SR.

What are opinions? And is all I need springs, tc drop, and shocks for options 1 and 2? For option 3 do I need springs, shocks, tc drop, track bar, brake line extensions, lcas, and that's it? Thanks...and I know there are individual reviews but I wanted side by side current ones. I have heard good and bad about all 3 companies...pics of 2, 3, RE 3.5 (closer to 4 I've heard) are great too!!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6L stroker

OME is definitely a good option for someone who wants good ride quality. Zone isn't bad either. They have fairly comfortable spring rates. They are a More budget line of suspension made by BDS (which is very nice). RE isn't bad. Personally i have the 3.5" super ride kit and i will say it is fantastic for supporting heavy loads ( winch, bumpers, sliders, skids, etc.) From my personal experience mine is about 6 years old and does NOT sag at all. The springs they use are rated for about 250lb where as most other brands seem to be around 150lb-180lb. It really just depends on how you use the jeep. I would suggest an adjustable track bar for all lifts 2" and up. The reason its important is because it will allow you to correctly center the axle underneath the vehicle and prevent death wobble and uneven tire wear. If your new at this stuff and easing into it i would not lift higher than 3". Good luck with it man.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM

Thanks! This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. So you think a win win? I have heard that OME went downhill now? But...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
Thanks! This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. So you think a win win? I have heard that OME went downhill now? But...
I can't say I've ever known or heard of any guys having issues w/ OME. It is an Australian company. I do have a good friend with OME leafs and nitro shocks on his Toyota pickup and that thing rides like a Cadillac. Ive heard the newer RE springs have gotten a bit softer compared to mine that ride horrendously stiff even with weight. If I could do it all over again i would just do 2" OME springs with their shocks, grab a set of all terrains and be a happy camper.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Nice. As I'm still in high school that may be the most sensible thing for me to do.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Nice. As I'm still in high school that may be the most sensible thing for me to do.
Smart man. You've got a good head on your shoulders.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Haha thanks. I just really wanna get rid of the sagging 13 year old leaf springs and figured I might as well add a bit of lift for practically the same amount of money...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Hmmm anyone know now a website to order them off of, not in a kit? The only I've found so far has been quadratec but they only have the hd ome ones and I don't know if I need those...occasional possible towing of a trailer but probably not too often and not more than 1500 lbs so...also how much lift do they actually provide? And I can't find the matching coils online either so if I can't I was gonna go BDS with those but itd be great if I could get matching components...I have checked all the websites I know of though...
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

OME is a sub company of ARB.
try this to see if there's a dealer in your area.
http://www.arbusa.com/Find-a-Dealer.aspx
Worth a shot at least.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Hmmm anyone know now a website to order them off of, not in a kit? The only I've found so far has been quadratec but they only have the hd ome ones and I don't know if I need those...occasional possible towing of a trailer but probably not too often and not more than 1500 lbs so...also how much lift do they actually provide? And I can't find the matching coils online either so if I can't I was gonna go BDS with those but itd be great if I could get matching components...I have checked all the websites I know of though...
Cool
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

I have Zone 3" coils up front. It is a stiff ride. I went with Zone because I wanted to go cheap. In the end, I now have Zone from, RE rear (full leaves). I wish I would have just bit the bullet and went OME.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Good to know...thanks! I think I have pretty old if not original rusted (New England) shocks so I don't know how bad it would really be (dealer SAID they were new...but then again they also said it had no rust, and it did. But was painted over.) I'm riding on saggy leaf springs for now, one of which has a leaf that actually snapped sooo...but yeah im thinking same price of ome as zone, but ome just gives slightly less lift but more quality...wanna tow a boat with it too, sooo
Old 08-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Good to know...thanks! I think I have pretty old if not original rusted (New England) shocks so I don't know how bad it would really be (dealer SAID they were new...but then again they also said it had no rust, and it did. But was painted over.) I'm riding on saggy leaf springs for now, one of which has a leaf that actually snapped sooo...but yeah im thinking same price of ome as zone, but ome just gives slightly less lift but more quality...wanna tow a boat with it too, sooo
Just go OME and dont look back.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by evan00xj

Just go OME and dont look back.
^ Truth
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 PM

The only problem with OME is I have no idea what springs I need. They are listed as different heights on different websites and all have different "free heights" which I have no idea what this means but...I like the idea of soft ride with overload springs...but I've heard that ome springs give anywhere between .25" below to 2" over advertised height...and I want about 2-3 inches...but I'm afraid of going 2" in fear of vibes and then having them anyways, fix them an then realize I could have gone 3" if I needed a tc drop anyways...so if they have 3" that works too...and I hear that I should order from dpg off road? And lastly off topic but how bad would some 224/75/r16s look on a 2 or 3 inch lift? And I love my icons!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Probably been asked a thousand times but...