Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premade Roll Cage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Premade Roll Cage?

I don't have the resources or skill to bend my own tube and create my own cage. I was wondering if this cage from D&C would be a good option.

I'd get the DOM version, too.
http://dandcextreme.com/product/d-an...s/#lightbox/8/

Would I want the foot plates? I've heard the floor ripping out if the cage is used..?

Then since TNT no longer makes their stiffeners apparently, I'm assuming these are a good option?

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html
Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I've used the rockhard 4x4 prefab roll cage on several builds and it was an excellent product

Last edited by Jrozar; 09-02-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

there's a couple reasons I'm against a premade cage. especially if you don't plan on adding onto it. a cage has got to tie into your unibody in 6-10 places for it to be much more useful. a fully plated unibody. if you're looking for a cage that will stop your roof from crushing in if you land on your lid gently, this is about all this cage will protect. any flops, or god forbid a violent roll, this cage ain't doing much for protection. and definitely not much for frame stiffening

ruffstuff plates are way better than the TNT's anyway. but 3/16 is struggle to weld. if you're a beginner, the HDO's are way easier to weld. but also have almost too many rosette holes. oh well pick your poison all uniframe welding sucks
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

That's this, right?
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1012.htm

I was looking at that as well. I was wondering how the bolt in version is compared to welding. Looks beefy and well worth the money though.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Please don't buy a bolt together cage. Whoever thought of that should be shot.

I bought a prefabbed cage. I bought one from T&J Performance. It's better than nothing but not much better without bracing it to the plated unibody and adding some more triangulation.

I added a big X at the B-pillar and harness bars, braced to the unibody and plan to add more when I can.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
Please don't buy a bolt together cage. Whoever thought of that should be shot.

I bought a prefabbed cage. I bought one from T&J Performance. It's better than nothing but not much better without bracing it to the plated unibody and adding some more triangulation.

I added a big X at the B-pillar and harness bars, braced to the unibody and plan to add more when I can.
Yeah that's what worried me, and for a grand I would want it to be top notch. Is the D&C cage good, then just add to it? I'll do some research around my area and look for a fab shop or something. Maybe I'll have a shop make a custom one. So you'd recommend the cage feet plates then?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
Yeah that's what worried me, and for a grand I would want it to be top notch. Is the D&C cage good, then just add to it? I'll do some research around my area and look for a fab shop or something. Maybe I'll have a shop make a custom one. So you'd recommend the cage feet plates then?
I'd recommend a cage that goes straight through the floor to the unibody but if you're buying a prefabbed cage then, yes, I suggest the feet.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
I'd recommend a cage that goes straight through the floor to the unibody but if you're buying a prefabbed cage then, yes, I suggest the feet.
Right on. I'll see what's around locally, then if there's nothing, get the D&C cage and make some modifications.

Also, who makes a nice oil pan skid? I'm going to get a gas tank skid soon and my long arm crossmember already covers my t case.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM

No clue. I don't feel like an oil pan skin is really necessary. Especially with long arms, axle, driveshafts, etc, blocking the way.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L Turbo

If it’s like the other pre fab cages I’ve seen its still going to require a bunch of work to make it fit. Last one I worked on required a bunch of trimming and all the notches had to be redone. If you are looking to save money and have the time and skills to make it work it’s not a bad deal.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

Year: 2001

Right on. I'll see what's around locally, then if there's nothing, get the D&C cage and make some modifications.

Also, who makes a nice oil pan skid? I'm going to get a gas tank skid soon and my long arm crossmember already covers my t case.
I have a Skidrow oil pan skid. I have never hit it yet. It is getting removed tomorrow when I put my new control arms on. Don't waste your money on one, just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CanXJ
I have a Skidrow oil pan skid. I have never hit it yet. It is getting removed tomorrow when I put my new control arms on. Don't waste your money on one, just my opinion.
Good to know. Maybe I'm just worried about nothing. I have to say that my clearance was really nice yesterday. 7'' on 33s and only scraped once on something. Might have been my t case skid. I'll get a gas tank skid for sure, but then I'll probably put the money towards diff guards then. There's a lot of rocks at this new place, and since I'm keeping my 33s, I'll be able to go ***** out!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

Yes that's the one, here is a YJ that my 17 year old son flipped three times at 50 mph on a highway off ramp. He walked away and the doors and top were off. I don't know many people who have opinions that can say they have flipped a vehicle much less at speed.this was a factory cage that people say are worthless right...it saved his life.... So when we did a rebuild we used the rock hard 4x4 cage, it corrects the weaknesses of the factory cage..so in the XJ I would feel very comfortable with their product and you have to decide what you are doing with Your XJ...Some safety is better than no safety... If your running baja, jeep speed etc...no get a custom one if its a daily driver and some trails...get it...cause you have nothing now.

If you like weld it together.

Frame Tie in

That's this, right?
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1012.htm

I was looking at that as well. I was wondering how the bolt in version is compared to welding. Looks beefy and well worth the money though.

Last edited by Jrozar; 09-02-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Jrozar
Yes that's the one, here is a YJ that my 17 year old son flipped three times at 50 mph on a highway off ramp. He walked away and the doors and top were off. I don't know many people who have opinions that can say they have flipped a vehicle much less at speed.this was a factory cage that people say are worthless right. So when we did a rebnuild we used the rock hard 4x4 cage. it coorects the weaknesses of the factory cage..so in the XJ I would feel very comfortable with their product and you have to decide what you are doing with Your XJ...Some safety is better than no safety...

If you like weld it together.
a bolt in cage going in a uniframed XJ is massively different than a nice stout YJ. there are other things to consider than street safety when investing in a cage for an XJ
Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

The factory cage in the yj was bolted to just the sheet metal and had no frontal support and was collapsing the windshield and pulling from the tub. Even the seat brackets were ripping from the floor.

True they are different vehicles I have both...one with a frame a yj and one without the xj.

But would you say the need is based upon the use of the owner and his / her needs. Could a bolt in cage suffice for the consumers needs?

Would a bolt in cage be better than no cage? Would a welded bolt in cage be better than no cage, would adding to a bolt in cage and tie it in be better than no cage? Is a custom built cage better than all? Guess that depends on who made it. The weld in cages aren't any good if your a shade tree mechanic who can't weld either.

But I can have my Baja fab guy buddies who have million dollar teams, do you a full cage and frame if you want safety. But who would want that in their daily driver.

I'm no structural engineer, so I guess your input may be better than mine and really don't know the needs of the OP, the trails, etc.. Just answering a question.

Quick Reply: Premade Roll Cage?