Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Nation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Power Nation

I happened to switch the channel to power nation on tv this morning. They were highlighting a jeep 4.0 ! I saw a few things I didn't agree with, like saying it was designed in 1987, I thought for sure it was a modified version of the AMC 4.2 liter. Anyway they aimed to get 1 hp per cube. I saw that they used a 99 intake, an ARP header, an aftermarket aluminum head, not sure what cam, roller rockers, and tried a 4bbl throttle body that failed miserably, then switched to a 750 CFM carb.
The head used stock valve sizes, no boring or stroking was done, not sure on the cam or rocker ratio, but they got 260 something horsepower max threshold then backed off the timing to get 243 hp. That matches a lot of V8 engines. Oh the intake had been cut out bigger to take the bigger throttle body, having tooling is heavenly lol. Also they used an electric driven water pump and no accessories.
Money wise I'm guessing the header is 600, probably another 600 for the head that flows 52 CFM better than stock, but I'm not sure which year stock they meant, probably 200 for the rocker arm set. And valve lash, I don't understand how they set valve lash on hydro lifters but they talked about it. Probably 300 to 400 for the throttle body. Come to think of it, I did not see what they did with injectors when they tried to use the throttle body, but the carb was run with gas so the injectors must have been deleted.
Any thoughts or knowledge on this?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

It might help to have a link to the video:

http://powernationtv.com/episode/EP2...2-amc-jeep-six

For reference, my Golen stroker maxed out on the engine dyno at 274.3 hp and 320.9 ft-lbs of torque. I know there are guys on the stroker forum who have gotten more. The Power Nation guys made a big deal out of not stroking theirs for "real world horespower," yet they put a few thousand dollars of performance parts on the top end, so I don't really understand why they limited themselves that way.

Originally Posted by munyanb
Money wise I'm guessing the header is 600, probably another 600 for the head that flows 52 CFM better than stock, but I'm not sure which year stock they meant, probably 200 for the rocker arm set.
That Edelbrock head runs $1660.

The header was Rugged Ridge, about $300.

The Crane cam is $146.

The roller rockers are $537.

The aftermarket distributor is $340.

The carb they ended up using is about $700. The throttle body injection they attempted to use without success is $1671.

Figure at least another $700 for miscellaneous parts (harmonic balancer, timing cover, water pump, bearings, etc.), and you're looking at more than $4300 in parts to put that thing together.

There are links to all these parts on their website underneath the video I linked above.

Come to think of it, I did not see what they did with injectors when they tried to use the throttle body, but the carb was run with gas so the injectors must have been deleted.
It's throttle body injection. It doesn't have individual injectors for each cylinder. The fuel enters at the throttle body.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Sometimes there are real advantages to NOT Stroking an engine I have gone both ways stroked and de-stroked. My current Dart 400 ci. Chevy block is de-stroked to 381 ci. the first was for CR and the second was for the CI. requirement on a class I planned on running on pump gas. Also it can be street driven on pump gas with a mild tune.

Any decent stroker will have flat top pistons and the bump in CR usually a 10-1 means an oct. booster and for a driven rig can become costly. When 93 oct could be found at most stations it wasn't a problem but now most all that is offered is 91 oct and that doesn't cut it.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Banned

Good points, but that didn't seem to be the reasoning behind their build. They seemed to be implying they decided not to stroke it for budgetary reasons, when their build ended up costing almost as much as my stroker.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
When 93 oct could be found at most stations it wasn't a problem but now most all that is offered is 91 oct and that doesn't cut it.
I have no trouble at all finding 93 in the south (practically every station has it, even Sam's Club), and both my high compression engines can run on 91 if necessary.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Wow I had no idea that stuff cost that much, that's nuts, lol. Strokers make more power, but then don't rev as high generally, I have mentioned this in other posts, but wouldn't a supercharger be just as good for less money? I am a dodge man, and have been conflicted about the 400 and 440, the 400 being shorter stroke, and preferred by modern day engine builders that even mess with them old engines, I saw mopar magazine put a twin turbo on a 400 with great success, they got it from a diesel Mercedes. I'm always interested in what the common person can do and afford, and these options do not seem to be there anymore like the old days. and how is someone supposed to use that engine they built on a normal street driven jeep without huge problems with the electronics? The whole computer system would be unusable or not? that's also a cost to look at.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Oh and to make my point about the old days one prime example was taking a chevy 350 and using the rods from a 400 to make a 383 stroker , or the dodge 318 using 360 rods to make a 340, or was it using a 360 block with 318 rods? but the heads on the 360 typically had bigger valves I think, and a bigger combustion chamber, and these days the lower compression is needed for pump gas. you just do not have them tricks anymore, and the engines from the factory are pretty darn good and hard to improve on. putting 4k in a 4.0 is only something a very rich person would do as a hobby in my opinion. It is interesting though.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Banned

... and how is someone supposed to use that engine they built on a normal street driven jeep without huge problems with the electronics? The whole computer system would be unusable or not?
I don't know about what the engine built, but my 4.6L uses the stock computer without any issues. Some people are using aftermarket computers that sit on top of the stock computer, but it's actually pretty amazing how much the stock computer can handle.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Member

oh I didn't mean to offend anyone saying only a rich person with a hobby would build a 4.0, I guess to each his own, it doesn't matter what people choose to spend money on, at least building a nice jeep you actually have something useful instead of jewelry or drugs or what not. In the grand scheme of things I guess that isn't that much money anyway these days. I guess I could see a computer adapting to an altered engine, I had an intrepid that I put a 3.5 HO in and it ran on the 2.7 computer, it took a little while to adapt but it did, even with some of the changes I made to the 3.5. Then I ruined it when I switched over the 300M interior and alarm and installed the SKIM for the alarm system, and forgot to change the switch cylinder, to use the key with the chip in it. It locked the computer out since it thought it was a stolen car lol