Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping/Binding Noise coming from T/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Popping/Binding Noise coming from T/C

So a few days ago I installed an sye on my transfer case and have been running a stock front shaft in the rear with no problems. Randomly yesterday a loud pop noise starting coming from somewhere under/behind the center console. It's a single loud pop every 5 or 10 seconds when driving straight at any speed over 20mph. It happens consistently whether I'm speeding up, slowing down or just driving a constant speed on smooth pavement. It's very loud and I can feel it in the seat almost like something is binding up and releasing.

Info on my Jeep - 95 Cherokee 2dr, 4.0, AW4, NP231, 5" lift no tcase drop, shimmed rear axle. It has been converted from 2wd to 4x4. It currently has no front driveshaft and no front axle shafts. I pulled them and swapped in the 2wd short shafts and plugs because the front diff needs to be rebuilt.

Things I've checked - Trans mount is brand new, I have secured the exhaust and am confident its not hitting anything. Checked the u joints with rear shaft installed, there is no play at all. Removed the driveshaft, all joints rotate full ROM with no problems, all yokes are tight with no play in tcase and rear diff. I thought maybe the 4x4 shifter adjustment was off so I disconnected it completely and moved the lever by hand. The noise is still there in 2wd and 4hi.

Reason's I don't think it's the rear driveshaft is because I'm not getting any other vibrations or noises and everything seems to be alright with the joints. The only thing I see left to do is pull the tcase back apart. But what inside the tcase could be binding up and making a popping noise like that? In 2wd with no front shaft there shouldn't be any force on the chain correct? Could the shift fork be acting up? Other than the noise the jeep is driving great, no slipping or loss in power when it happens buts it's definitely violent and it sounds like something is breaking so I'm scared to drive it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Pulled the transfer case apart and the edge of the range shift fork is totally destroyed. I guess maybe the wear pad fell off and allowed the fork to move around too much? The fork is aluminum and it doesn't look like the chunks have caused any severe/noticeable damage to the steel gears or other parts. I'm going to try cleaning out the case and replacing the range fork and putting new pads on the mode fork. I'll post back if it works. Any advice would be welcome.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you have it out and cracked open anyway, and are ok on time and affording it, maybe get a rebuild kit.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...s/np-231-parts

I probably would, assuming it wasn't recently rebuilt.

-T.