Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLan to cure cooling problems on 1998 XJ.. need input and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default PLan to cure cooling problems on 1998 XJ.. need input and thoughts

Ok I have a 1998 XJ 4wd Auto and its located in Panama. Long story short can not buy parts there, expensive to ship in..so when I am in the USA I but them up to take back to my Jeep shop to fix my issues. Problem is if I do nto bring all the exact parts and forget anything I am screwed waiting for ever and paying a lot.

One big problem I have had is with the cooling issues.

Reading on other forums I determined I need to get a new radiator. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to spend the extra cash on the Griffin which is like $500 or go for a cheaper one like the Champions (even though I read on other forums requires hacking to install them)..... either way I need a Radiator so any thoughts to guide me along would be great.

Next I think I need to get the Flowkoller Waterpump

Then I want to get the 3 electric fan set up

Along with the radiator, fans and waterpump need to get a 180 degree thermostat and the new hoses needed. All these last things I have not figured out what the best brands are to get and where to purchase them. Any help completing this step by step cooling fix kit would be amazing.

thanks
CC

Last edited by cctravis; 07-24-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

WOW... I was stationed at Fort Clayton from 92-95. ANyways on to your question. I would buy a CSF 3 row radiator. I would also buy some quality hoses... Goodyear makes a set.. kinda pricey but good. If yo cant find them go to a NAPA and buy their hoses. Not sure Why you want to go to 3 electric fans.. I live in va (weather is similar) and run trails, with my mech and 1 electric fan and have zero issues with running hot. I have the electric fan setup to run by a switch and just leave it on while trail riding.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 AM

I heard mixed reviews on CSF thats why I was looking elsewhere. You do recommend them though and its essentially a bolt on install?

The 3 fan assembly just seemed like the best assembly I could find... do you have a guide on how you set yours up or something similar with one fan and the switch?

You think the Flowkooler pump is needed?

Withe the good year hoses they are only 2 needed right? upper and lower?

thanks for helping out a complete newbie
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

My cooling system is completely stock except for me wiring the fan to a switch. I have never had an issue with my stock setup so I never messed with it. Yeah the radiator hoses are just upper and lower.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 PM

I use a Flowcool water pump. I noticed my cooling fan runs less and for a shorter time with it.

Have you considered hood loovers! Run Cool makes them and I've seen many other home made ones also. maybe house vents would work.

I put 1" spacers and longer bolts in my hood hinges to raise the rear of the hood to let heat out.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 AM

The spacer idea is a good one. Any guides online on how you did that?

I got the vents for the top of hood already just need to make the cuts and do the install.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 AM
CF Veteran

I woould have concerns with the hood louvers with all the rain that happens during the rainy season down there.

ANyway looking at both of your post.. I am wondering if your trans running hot is causing your rig to run warmer then it should?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

does a 1998 have the thin cyl head on it ,0331
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 AM
CF Veteran

seeing how you have a check engine light issue in you other thread ,i would take a coolant temp sensor,a fan clutch ,cooling fan relay,radiator hoses,new aux cooling fan ,water pump,radiator ,radiator cap, new thermostat,new serp belt,also buy a repair manual, other than having a cracked 0331 cyl head that should give you a new cooling system

Last edited by freegdr; 07-25-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 AM
CF Veteran

Default heres afew radiators i found

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Radiator...diators&_rdc=1
Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 AM

Year: 1996

Stick with the stock 195 thermostat. No need for the 180. And go Mopar on the thermostat. I did. Zero problems. And it was like $10.

Sent from my DROID INCREDIBLE using Cherokee Forum
Old 07-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Hi CC Travis

There is one other consideration. If you are planning to replace the water pump (of course, include the necessary gasket and gasket sealer in a tube), you will almost definitely want to purchase the metal tube that screws into the new water pump that feeds the cabin heater core.

That part will have rusted into the old (original) water pump and will be almost impossible to remove without distroying it; or it will be rusted in the enterior so that the tube wall will be paper thin and of no use with the new pump.

On the other hand, if you never need to utilize the cabin heater because of your physical location, then consider plugging the feed line to the cabin heater. In that case, instead of buying the metal feed tube for the heater, just buy the correct size brass (square head) pipe plug in order to block off that opening in your new pump.

Also, buy a few extra Stainless Steel hose clamps of the worm design and by all means get the very best quality. I've seen the less expensive ones go bad and need replacing. What happens is the "worm gear" strips out and the clamp then can not be tightened.

I would be nice if you had a contact person here in the U.S that could send you a part in an emergency situation.

I just finished installing a new cooling radiator and water pump in my 98 XJ and it runs fine in the 100 F weather we've been having this summer along the east coast ( USA ).

Best wishes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi CC Travis;

Just a couple of after thoughts on your initial post;

1) Don't even give any thought to replacing your coolant pump with a so called "re-built" or "re-manufactured" pump. Buy only a newly manufactured, and perhaps O.E.M. from the Chrysler dealership. (do you have the part's catalog down load in a pdf file format?) What about spare/replacement attaching bolts ?

2) Just how hot does it get in Panama during the summer months ?
Does United Parcel Service have reliable delivery service to your community in Panama ? If not to your community, how about to a larger city in Panama?

Regards,

Webb
Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cctravis
The spacer idea is a good one. Any guides online on how you did that?

I got the vents for the top of hood already just need to make the cuts and do the install.
I used 8mm x 1.25 x 40mm bolts (4ea) and 1" spacers (or stacked washers) Some hood ajustment was needed. Less than an hour to install.

Originally Posted by PingPong
I woould have concerns with the hood louvers with all the rain that happens during the rainy season down there.

ANyway looking at both of your post.. I am wondering if your trans running hot is causing your rig to run warmer then it should?
Run Cool hood louvers recomends making gutters under the louvers to redirect water from the engine.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM

If it were me facing your situation, I would also include a new, best quality, serpentine drive belt to install at the time the new coolant pump goes on. Hopefully the replaced belt will have some life/useage left and could be carried in the Jeep as an emergency back up, if ever that should occur.

Again, I recommend the very best drive belt that has the cross hatching in addition to the grooves. I believe they are from Good Year Rubber.

How do you get engine collant while you're in Panama?

Last edited by webb'scherokee; 07-25-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: PLan to cure cooling problems on 1998 XJ.. need input and thoughts