Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piecing a lift together

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default piecing a lift together

Im wanting to upgrade my lift a bit so I have a few questions. First off, I have 3 in coils now, and wanna go to 4.5 or 5. How much difference in flex will there be in using my coils plus a spacer or just buying new coils
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding spacers

The best way to go is with the longer springs , but I did add spacers , longer rear shakles , shocks and extended brake lines .It works your axle drop is better because of the longer components but compression wouldn't be as good. You can always add the longer coils later.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Im still on the fence, obviously spacer is cheaper...need more expert advice guys!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Xj88
Im still on the fence, obviously spacer is cheaper...need more expert advice guys!
Coils are cheap enough do it right and get the pair of coils !

You'll need these parts to goto 4.5" form 3"

Longer Coils
Double Shear Tracbar
Longer Shocks
Longer Brakelines
Longer Shackles
SYE/ CV Driveshaft

I'd look into a Long arm upgrade ( I am not a fan of Drop Brackets)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Coils are cheap enough do it right and get the pair of coils !

You'll need these parts to goto 4.5" form 3"

Longer Coils
Double Shear Tracbar
Longer Shocks
Longer Brakelines
Longer Shackles
SYE/ CV Driveshaft

I'd look into a Long arm upgrade ( I am not a fan of Drop Brackets)
Ive seen stock trackbars at 4.5, and ive seen 4.5 inches of lift with just a tc drop, not a sye. I will more than likely go straight to 4.5 inch coils like your saying. But also Im not using drop brackets, im using relocaters, which dont necessarily just lower the shackle, they provide a better angle on the shackle, also increasing flex.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Ive seen stock trackbars at 4.5, and ive seen 4.5 inches of lift with just a tc drop, not a sye. I will more than likely go straight to 4.5 inch coils like your saying. But also Im not using drop brackets, im using relocaters, which dont necessarily just lower the shackle, they provide a better angle on the shackle, also increasing flex.
He was talking about lower control arm drop brackets I think. I'm in a similar situation, I am at 3" and currently have collected 4.5" shocks and coils but still need to get shackles and a trac bar (already have re lcas and brake lines). I would recommend at least re-drilling your trac bar mount at 4.5", but an adjustable trac bar really is necessary for it to drive right and to prevent drastic ware on your steering parts.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

I think you will need longer lower control arms also..
Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

And also, something I've learned, don't cheap out or do things half way (not saying that you or anyone else would, but I have and want to pass on my experiences). It's best to do it right the first time and not twice. Looking back on things, I would have done a lot differently and ended up wasting money in the end. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I was talking about control arm drop brackets, Running a stock track bar with anything over 3" is just plain stupid spend the extra $180-300 depending on Brand and do it right ! I can not count the amount of Jeeps I have come across at work with 3-4" lifts with a stock track bar, An the Tie rod end at the frame mount is trashed because it was not designed to run at the angle that it is on. Have you ever had a stock trac bar fail on you ? I have it is not fun and I was only going 20mph thank god I was not on the hi-way going 70mph ! The re-locators are a good investment I intend to buy them if I go to 4.5" of lift . At 4.5" of lift the reason I said run a Sye wait until you see the little amount of the slip yoke in the back of the tail shaft . I've seen them pop out on the trail and crack the tail shaft housing on the t-case I'm at 3" an I will have a SYE sometime this year.

To properly run with 4.5" of lift will run a decent bit of money! Which is why most jeeps on this site are built half-assed. Majority of the posters on this site seem to be young and new to wheeling and buy cheap **** and half *** their lifts because they do not know any better an Keep getting bad advice. If you really want 4.5" of lift start looking at NAXJA.Org there is tons of info on that site and they will point you in the right direction .
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Old School CF Moderator

I was talking about control arm drop brackets, Running a stock track bar with anything over 3" is just plain stupid spend the extra $180-300 depending on Brand and do it right ! I can not count the amount of Jeeps I have come across at work with 3-4" lifts with a stock track bar, An the Tie rod end at the frame mount is trashed because it was not designed to run at the angle that it is on. Have you ever had a stock trac bar fail on you ? I have it is not fun and I was only going 20mph thank god I was not on the hi-way going 70mph ! The re-locators are a good investment I intend to buy them if I go to 4.5" of lift . At 4.5" of lift the reason I said run a Sye wait until you see the little amount of the slip yoke in the back of the tail shaft . I've seen them pop out on the trail and crack the tail shaft housing on the t-case I'm at 3" an I will have a SYE sometime this year.

To properly run with 4.5" of lift will run a decent bit of money! Which is why most jeeps on this site are built half-assed. Majority of the posters on this site seem to be young and new to wheeling and buy cheap **** and half *** their lifts because they do not know any better an Keep getting bad advice. If you really want 4.5" of lift start looking at NAXJA.Org there is tons of info on that site and they will point you in the right direction .
Dude im not sure where I thought a stock track bar would work, that's actually my next purchase is an adj one from rustys. I must have thought I read tie rod or something. Ill go full 4.5 in coils soon with a relocater in the rear. Also im getting a deal in some used, upper and lower arms that are coming from a 5 inch lift.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I did a similar thing, went from 3.5" to 4.5-5" and gave my 3.5" lift to my gf. It was rather simple and I liked the results. I simply found some 4.5" coils, shocks and LCA's used somewhere for cheap. For the rear I used s10 leafs with shackle relocation box's and some autozone lift/lowing shackles which gave me alittle over 5" in the rear. YJ brake lines all around and I also dropped $200 on a IRO track bar cause I was always fighting my stock one anyways. I didnt need a SYE but ended up swapping one in due to tcase issues and found a deal
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I knew I liked you.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Landed a set of 4.5 inch packs, 4.5 inch coils, and shocks for 250.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Landed a set of 4.5 inch packs, 4.5 inch coils, and shocks for 250.
Hell of a deal. 1 RE 4.5" leaf pack and bushings cost me more than that.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Get the JKS ACOS and you'll have adjustable spacers and a built in 1.25" lift.

Quick Reply: piecing a lift together