Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6cyl
Default Paint Removal

hey everyone,

I picked up a '92 Cherokee 4.0L and one of the previous owners used a bed liner material on the whole exterior of the jeep except for the top, and there are spots chipping off or already missing. If it was done right originally than I might like it but I was wanting to change it to a flat forest green color with some hammered/bed liner black accent pieces instead of the whole thing being bed liner texture.

My question is, what should I use to remove the bed liner material?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2016, 02:54 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

This sounds like a terrible job. Either a grinder with a wire cup brush, or aircraft grade paint remover, found at any autobody store. Stuff is nasty but works very well. Be sure to use a mask and some actual chemical resistant gloves (eats through latex and nitriles in 30 seconds )
Old 11-22-2016, 04:04 PM

If I used airplane grade paint remover, will it strip everything off or just the top layer? Or is that dependent on concentration of chemical in an area? Would I just finish it off with a normal soap and water wash?

If I use the grinder with the wire cup brush I'm afraid that it'll result in uneven swirls in whatever lays below in addition to some areas that may go down to metal.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

The paint stripper will eat all the way to bare metal. The paint under the bedliner is probably done. The whole car would need painter to look right. The easiest way would be to remove that paint and put bedliner on it again.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by dlopater
If I used airplane grade paint remover, will it strip everything off or just the top layer? Or is that dependent on concentration of chemical in an area? Would I just finish it off with a normal soap and water wash?

If I use the grinder with the wire cup brush I'm afraid that it'll result in uneven swirls in whatever lays below in addition to some areas that may go down to metal.
There's no way you're going to preserve the paint underneath the bedliner, unless there is some heat gun/plastic scraper trick that would just remove the bedliner. I am highly doubtful of that though, you might have to rethink the plan a little bit.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:38 PM

After some further research it looks like i'll just have to go over it with some new coats of the color that i want in a bed liner material
Old 11-23-2016, 04:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I'd suggest you find a roller for $300 - $500. Swap your drivetrain over and scrap that one. I hate body work.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

Just try sanding it first. With an orbital and 60 or 40 grit. If it sands fairly easy then use a finer grit so u won't sand through the factory paint. Either sand til smooth or until most of the Bed liner is actually removed.

Or if you have cash to waste then try some laquer thinner. If it works then it will take alot of thinner and slot of rags.

One of mine was sprayed with rustoleum texture paint by PO. There was overspray on the Windows badly. All the door and window seals are painted. Lol. I got it off in spots with thinner. The rear quarters I sanded and primed over it. On the hood it's turning white from the sun and its peeling off.

Monstaliner looks good on exteriors. Check it out. Also comes in lots of colors. And you could apply it so it's not heavily textured.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you want bedliner finish or do you want to start fresh with a new layer? Thats the main question
Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

You should use a paint eater disc on an angle grinder and see if it takes the bedliner off. Use a test area. It should remove everything down to the metal
Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

When you have a clean surface you can decide what you want to do
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I'd suggest you find a roller for $300 - $500. Swap your drivetrain over and scrap that one. I hate body work.
This sounds like more money, time and effort than fixing the paint job.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlackXJay
Do you want bedliner finish or do you want to start fresh with a new layer? Thats the main question
Originally I was wanting to go with a new surface and go with a flat color similar to what you'd get with a liquid wrap. After doing some research it looks like the bedliner material should kind of cure itself, so what I'll probably end up doing is giving it a good scrub down, and go over it with the color that I want but in that bedliner finish. I don't dislike the texture of it, but if the job wasn't going to require extensive procedures of paint removal than I would have liked to have gone with the flat