Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Setup - Where Am I Lacking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering Setup - Where Am I Lacking?

I would really love some input on my steering set up. What can i do to further upgrade?

I am still getting some death wobble. But it is so inconsistent... And i am running out of ideas. The last thing on my list to try is replacing the ball joints.

Adding the steering box brace with the sector shaft support made a HUGE difference in the handling of the jeep. There is practically no play in the steering now.

Do you think the steering stabilizer would be better off mounted on the drag link (like it is stock) or where its at on the tie rod?

I have the drop brackets installed ready for a swaybar. Bur first i need to weld the brackets onto the axle. Then ill install my sway and my disconnects.

Any ideas, input, advice, anything would be great. My goal is to create a very solid steering setup and be able to feel comfortable going on a 100 mile cruise.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Steering Setup - Where Am I Lacking?-img_4778-2.jpg   Steering Setup - Where Am I Lacking?-img_5100.jpg  
Old 11-27-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

replace ball joints and check control arm bushings also when you have the steering box loose to put new support in check for cracks mine was all cracked up
Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
replace ball joints and check control arm bushings also when you have the steering box loose to put new support in check for cracks mine was all cracked up
Yeah those will prolly be my next steps... And i did replace the steering box bracket! My old one was toast, when i held it in my hand and put just a little sideways pressure on it to bend it back straight it just snapped.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Setup - Where Am I Lacking?-img_5083.jpg   Steering Setup - Where Am I Lacking?-img_5084.jpg  
Old 11-27-2016, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How tall is your lift and do you have stock control arms or adjustable ones ?Has a alignment been done on it ?Have you tried rotating the tires ?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Be sure that you replace the upper CA mount on the pass side differential as it is very weak, I replaced all of mine.

It appears that you have adj. control arms but if not they are needed with that lift to set the front differential properly. I'm guessing that you have an SYE also with the proper driveshaft in the rear with a 4" lift?