Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OTK vs UTK

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default OTK vs UTK

So as I am beginning to do some research on steering upgrades, I see a lot of variations of OTK and UTK steering set ups. I'm curious as to the benefit of OTK vs UTK set ups. The obvious benefit I see is that OTK puts the drag link a little higher than UTK. But do you feel that is worth the extra fab work needed to get the OTK working properly. I guess, I am asking is there a true benefit to the extra fab work required for OTK steering vs UTK steering? Just curious as to what everyone thinks on the subject.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:13 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I debated this myself when I did my research as to what I wanted to do...I ultimately chose OTK. If your rig is gonna see some hard terrain, I suggest OTK, every little bit counts. As far as the fab work goes, it's not that bad. I highly suggest removing the knuckles and pitman, and do the reaming on a press. The only other thing is welding the OTK bracket for the TB, but if you're a competent welder, easy-peasy-japanesey. I would also ream and not do the inserts. Just one more thing to go wrong, and in my OTK instructions, it stated you might need to use some feeler gauges as shims to get it right. That didn't sit well with me. Ream it and do it right. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

i went utk first but one of my parts for swap was recalled so ended up goin otk using the teraflex knuckle and ruffstuff tie rods and drag link the hardest part was getting the sway bar links out of the way enuff to clear it also i second the opinion to ream the knuckles and not to run inserts i have done it both ways and the inserts are pretty much a joke
Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of it depends your lift height also,I have been told 5 inches or less under the knuckle and over 6 inch lift you need over the knuckle.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by roninofako
I debated this myself when I did my research as to what I wanted to do...I ultimately chose OTK. If your rig is gonna see some hard terrain, I suggest OTK, every little bit counts. As far as the fab work goes, it's not that bad. I highly suggest removing the knuckles and pitman, and do the reaming on a press. The only other thing is welding the OTK bracket for the TB, but if you're a competent welder, easy-peasy-japanesey. I would also ream and not do the inserts. Just one more thing to go wrong, and in my OTK instructions, it stated you might need to use some feeler gauges as shims to get it right. That didn't sit well with me. Ream it and do it right. Hope this helps.

Roni make some very good points it all depends on how you plan on using your XJ and the trails it will see. I did research when I went up to 35" tires with my 4 1/2" lift and had my mind made up on OTK setup. It had a ZJ TRE's in it with the 33's and I switch back and forth between 33's and 35's.

After running what I had for going on 2 yrs now the ZJ stuff is still holding up and as long as it does I will hold off on the swap, but mine is not a big time rock crawler either.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

the teraflex high steer knuckle paired with ruffstuff steering is worth every penny in my experience. $700 upgrade, but easy as cake if you can measure and weld. WJ knuckles is the other option, depending on where you find the knuckles it's probably going to be more like $800 but get a big braking upgrade!

as mentioned, it depends on what you're doing. Rock crawling? I HATE bending tie rods. I'll spend the money for high steer every time.

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/-p-...FUiBfgodtEYHrQ