Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Man Emu vs Bilstein Shocks for 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Old Man Emu vs Bilstein Shocks for 3" lift

Hey all, forgive me as I know this question has been asked before but I searched several threads and most of them fell apart into technical arguments over shock applications before offering up useful opinions. I'm not looking for a clear "go OME!" or "always Bilstein", I'm trying to understand some of the differences at play here.

Here's my situation - I have about a 3.5" Rusty's HD lift on XJ that has an aftermarket bumper, winch and brush bar. I made the mistake initially of trying to cheap out and have suffered ride quality form the POS white-boot Rusty's shocks since installing. I'm ready to spend the dough to get this riding right.

Last week I ordered a set of Bilstein 5100s from 4WheelParts and the longer they've sat in my trunk the longer I've wondered if I should have gone with Old Man Emu for a complete system including steering stabilizer. When I called 4WheelParts to ask them about making a switch the salesman rather bluntly said "Why would you do that? Bilstein is a far superior shock" and did his best to dissuade. I wasn't aware there was THAT much of a performance gap but now I'm here opening the thread up to everyone's opinios of a) whether there is or isn't a better performer b) if so, why that might be c) where each shock might excel independently.

Appreciate your input and if a thread that better covers this exists just let me know, I hadn't found it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I can't compare one to the other since I've never had OME shocks, but I put the Bil. 5100s on my 99XJ with about 4" of lift back in November. They are better than any other shock I've ever had on any 4x4. My brother put the yellow Bilstiens on his 2nd gen 4-runner and those were shockingly smooth as well. (hehehe) I think from what I read before making my purchase that the OMEs would work better with stock vehicles and weights, and the 5100s are better for longer travel and heavier vehicles. That's based on what others say. I love my 5100s and have not regretted purchasing them for even a second! They are WAY better at handling things like washboard roads and stuff than I had ever hoped! If I were you, I'd install them and never look back, especially if you plan on adding armor or bumpers or otherwise increasing the overall weight of your XJ!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

OME will ride softer, bilstein a bit stiffer. i feel that OME shocks work best when coupled with their springs since theyre designed together. i've ridden with OME shocks in these applications:

2" BB XJ (spacers up front/quadratec HD leafs out back) - rides great, little stiffer than stock, you can tell the rear is more stiff than the front bc of the coils+spacer
3" OME TJ & LJ - AMAZING. rides better than stock. more control, more comfortable.

i'd use the bilsteins with the rustys springs. they arent as progressive as the OME springs and wont "work" as well together if you used OME shocks. that being said, you'd only notice the difference under certain and specific conditions. 95% of the time, the ride would be pretty much identical.

my .$02
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM

Great feedback so far, guys. Much appreciated.

On your point about working together, 93XJLI, I do seem to see a lot of people who talk about the importance of matching the system with the shocks. In another go-round I would have probably just gone straight to the OME suspension to begin with but live and learn!

So, looks like I'm leaning toward keeping the Bilsteins and giving 'em a go...
Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Since you already have the bils just run em and enjoy
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I installed the Bilsteins - not completely blown away but I think there may be a couple factors at work there. Check out my build thread for the latest...in my signature.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

First time in a year and a half I get on the forum, odd that I have a similar question. However, I was looking for some suggestions for an 3.5" Rubricon Express lifted XJ...wanting something besides OME (since that's what's been on it for the last 28k miles or so). Did I mention I have a dangler? Completely blew the top off an EMU shock...on US50 of all places.