Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Man Emu

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Old Man Emu

Thinking about purchasing an Old Man Emu lift for my 2000 XJ sport. I'm new to the world of Jeeps and I'm already in love with mine. I know it's going to be an exspenssive hobby but it will be worth it. If anyone has owned or has any suggestions or advice as to what I would need from Old Man Emu, it would be much appreciated. She is bone stock so it will be quite the project. Looking to lift 3" and still drive it to work and off road. Mostly hitting deep mud, some rocky terrain, and huge puddles. If you want list what you bought for yours and let me know how it rides. Any input is welcome as long as it is relative to Old Man Emu lifts or something you believe is better. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

OME is expensive but from what I understand it give a GREAT ride!

I was torn between OME & RE. I let someone talk me into RE (still a noob) and wish I would have gone with OME. Hinsight is 20/20. But to be fair to RE, my kit is still new so Ill give it a chance. Im on RE 4.5/Bilsteins.

The only down side is lift height, alot of guys wanna go higher.

Ive heard NOTHING but good about OME.

Last edited by Malik3404; 01-18-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

OME specializes in low lift, higher speed applications such as highway and light trails or desert style driving. I wouldn't reccommend it for deep puddles or rocks simply for the fact that its a smaller lift.

I have absolutely never had any experience with OME, never nought it, never rode in it, never talked to their people. So my opinion is that if you want to do more with your jeep and are willing to spend the money to get quality parts, go Rubicon Express. Id reccomend at the very least a 3" kit on 31's to be a decently capable vehicle. Or if you want something that will handle just about anything consider a long arm kit for lifts higher than 3"
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Malik3404
OME is expensive but from what I understand it give a GREAT ride!

I was torn between OME & RE. I let someone talk me into RE (still a noob) and wish I would have gone with OME. Hinsight is 20/20. But to be fair to RE, my kit is still new so Ill give it a chance. Im on RE 4.5/Bilsteins.

The only down side is lift height, alot of guys wanna go higher.

Ive heard NOTHING but good about OME.
X2 X2 X2
I made the same Mistake i bought a 3.5 in RE lift and wish I did not.
The one bit of advise I can suggest to you is to keep in mind that your jeep will be an ongoing project, and that these suspension "kits" are just that, and can be pieced together they dont have to be all or nothing. just make sure before you buy one you have a rock solid idea of what direction you willl be going with your project. it will change onver time "it always does" but knowing what you "need" will help you in the long run.
Take you Jeep wheeling in stock form before you lift it.... you will be amazed at what it can do out of the box and it will point out exactly what parts you need to change first.

as far as his comment about lift height, you can start off w the OME lift, have a fantastic ride, performace, and everything that comes with it then if you want to go a little higher just install these
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...de=Coil_Spring
and some drop brackets in the rear like these
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...de=Leaf_Spring
you could use any bracket that fits your lift amount/needs at that time.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=JerrytheJeep;2254333]OME specializes in low lift, higher speed applications such as highway and light trails or desert style driving. I wouldn't reccommend it for deep puddles or rocks simply for the fact that its a smaller lift.

I have absolutely never had any experience with OME, never nought it, never rode in it, never talked to their people. So my opinion is that if you want to do more with your jeep and are willing to spend the money to get quality parts, go Rubicon Express. Id reccomend at the very least a 3" kit on 31's to be a decently capable vehicle. Or if you want something that will handle just about anything consider a long arm kit for lifts higher than 3"[/QUOTE

I agree here too!
if you go above the ability of the OME system, go Long arms!!! its not just for the great articulation, its more about the geometry of the system and the ride quality, you get from them.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6L stroker

OME is great as far as softness and ride quality. Now comparing OME to RE ; rubicon express is gonna be alot firmer. It will be better as far as if you have a TON OF HEAVY stuff on your jeep. So if comfort is top priority go with OME. If yoy want "EXTREME DUTY" (thats what RE calls there kit) then maybe that route is good. All depends on personal preference.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

OME is pretty much top knotch. Look on dpg offroad's website. Good stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

I'm new at this whole thing so starting from scratch there is so many options of what I could do to it but this will give me some direction. Thanks for the input everyone! BTW took her through a couple trails stock couldnt believe the stuff I got through even in 2 wheel, 4 high for the thick, didnt even touch 4lo, gotta love Jeeps!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

do they have OME for 3 inch lifts?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Old School CF Moderator

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-...-hybrid-kit-2/

Mostly OME..
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

OME ftw. Their springs are top notch. I have them on my toyota and they ride great. I wish my jeep had an OME kit on it to be honest although their lift kits stops at 3inches of lift.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6L stroker

Originally Posted by sam24th
OME ftw. Their springs are top notch. I have them on my toyota and they ride great. I wish my jeep had an OME kit on it to be honest although their lift kits stops at 3inches of lift.
Well since in recent discovery we have learned its ok to run 37's on a 3in lift, that should be sufficient lmao
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by evan00xj

Well since in recent discovery we have learned its ok to run 37's on a 3in lift, that should be sufficient lmao
Yes with full widths , proper bunpstopping , long arms, propel length shocks and brake lines.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 AM

dpg offroad supplied me w/ a ome based lift 4", it rides better than stock. you will need more componets then just the springs & shocks to do it right ,dirk @ dpg can hook you up. prepare to do a sye & new rr driveshaft too, if you want a vibration free ride.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by evan00xj

This is the guy that said you need 5 inches or so to properly fit 33s... Lol

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu