Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

np241 ruby tc

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl.
Default np241 ruby tc

anyone done the tc swap to a xj for the 4.1 low range ? i need more slow speed crawl power & down hill braking it adds. what say you all ? thx.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I don't have the 241 but I did do a 4:1 TeraLow kit in my 231. I like the slow crawl but with the auto I'm not sure it's worth it. It actually makes it harder to crawl downhill in the rocks because it tries to overpower the brakes at idle even worse than a manual.

First gear is stupid slow on regular trails and it just wants to jump into third and skip second if you put it up in 3 so it has no hold back.

I didn't wheel it with the stock case but I did run stock in my TJ for years which was a manual and always wanted to go lower. If I were (or if you are) still driving a stick I would say it's absolutely worth it but if you're auto I'm not so sure.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

Originally Posted by RockSolidOff-Road
I don't have the 241 but I did do a 4:1 TeraLow kit in my 231. I like the slow crawl but with the auto I'm not sure it's worth it. It actually makes it harder to crawl downhill in the rocks because it tries to overpower the brakes at idle even worse than a manual.

First gear is stupid slow on regular trails and it just wants to jump into third and skip second if you put it up in 3 so it has no hold back.

I didn't wheel it with the stock case but I did run stock in my TJ for years which was a manual and always wanted to go lower. If I were (or if you are) still driving a stick I would say it's absolutely worth it but if you're auto I'm not so sure.
well im automatic w/ 4.56 gears & 33's, stock 231 tc , maybe i should leave well enough alone . you made some good points. last jeep i had was a cj w/ auto, dana 300 w/ 4.1 kit, but 37 in. tires, sometimes that seemed like it wanted to drive thru the brakes. im leaving the xj at 33's.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Same specs here with all new disc brakes on all 4 corners. It definitely made me drop off some rocks faster a couple weeks ago that I didn't want too. I've only wheeled it once on serious rocks so I'm still trying to get used to the auto.

My buddy installed a switch in his that allows him to electronically lock it in first or second. Supposedly there's some combination of switch in 1 and shifter in D that will let it crawl under power but coast when you let off. He doesn't seem to think it's so bad with his 4:1. I guess that would keep it from pulling so hard. I'll see if he can get me a link to that if you want.

My TJ was on 33's with 4.10 and I used to hold the brakes on that until it would almost shut off going down rock ledges. I can still do that now but it takes a lot of pedal.

This may sound odd but the biggest problem I had was going up hills, getting stuck, hitting the brakes and slapping it into reverse. It would take off like a shot and I almost hit a couple trees and my buddy's rig a few times. It was like I wasn't even hitting the pedal when I got to R. Don't know if that's 4:1 related or just me forgetting I don't have a clutch.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would skip that t case unless its super cheap,Yeah its a 4 to 1 case but its still chain driven and aluminum case on it.I would go for a flipped and twin sticked dana 300 its a iron case and gear driven and you can get a set of 4 to 1 gears for about 600 bucks.Or you could run a doubler dana 300 and np231.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I've seen way more 231/300 doublers break or being sold because the owners don't like them than I ever have 241's...

Stock brakes suck. With a 4:1 I would be very scared going downhill in fear of the Jeep shifting into 2nd and sending me running down a hill. You can electrically lock the transmission in 1st gear and upgrade the master cylinder to push more fluid, but if you really want the best bang for your buck get a 2 speed atlas.