Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal for a lifted Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is this normal for a lifted Jeep?

When you hit a steep drop/bump on the road, sewer cover, etc, to have the steering wheel quickly and sharply turn in the direction?

I have some weird steering characteristics I've been trying to track down. Just wanted to know if that's normal on a lifted XJ that is set-up correctly.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Sounds an aweful lot like bump steer to me.

Define, "setup correctly".

No, that's not normal.

What do your steering angles look like?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
Sounds an aweful lot like bump steer to me.

Define, "setup correctly".

No, that's not normal.

What do your steering angles look like?
This ^ X2
Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

X3. Take a pic of your steering
Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

My car used to do this, I changed the tie-rods out with some stock replacement ones and it got alot better. Need to do the 1-ton steering upgrade but I think it will only help more?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

No, that's not normal. How much is the Jeep lifted? And does it still have stock steering?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM

It is a 4.5" Control arm drop bracket, on RC x-flex SA's, RC track bar and bracket, drop pitman arm.

Good to hear i's not normal. Beginning to lose all hope in this thing. I have an appointment Thursday to have the alignment checked for Caster. I did the "check it yourself with the diff cover" thing and it may be too little Caster? I got 5* positive I think.

I do have the stock steering, but added the grand cherokee tie bar because my old one was shot. But since the is only thicker, and doesn't change the angle of the dangle, basically-yes-stock steering. I added a NAPA reman'd Durango steering gear and C-rok spacer. Here is a list of all the steering/suspension replacements I have done. I did this all myself (Shadetree mechanic-Level 3(Lol)). This is my only experience with owning 4wd. I don't have any buddies with lifted toys to compare this XJ to.

Sidenote, the steering is really weird in that it seem that you are consciously counter steering. I seem to have to make an awful lot on minute corrections, vs. any other vehicle I've driven. I'll try an find a picture of my steering angle to track bar relationship. Last time I posted it up on here if I remember correctly, people said it wasn't that bad from what they could see from the pictures. This has been like this since I lifted it in the end of 11'. I have heard from some that at 4.5" the stock steering is near it's max as far as angles go. But PM'ing others that have done UTK upgrades, the didn't notice a huge improvement/difference on the street (Where mine spends 90% of it's lift). I just haven't heard enough of the testimonies to spend the $300+ to do it for a DD.

Cherokee suspension/steering work done:

10/19/2011
-New Zone short arm suspension lift
-New RC drop track bar and bracket for 4-6” lift
-New RC steering stabilizer
-New RUK Development 1” poly spacer for front coils
-New IRO slip yoke eliminator for rear drive shaft. Double Cardan drive shaft included
-New RC X-flex adjustable front upper/lower control arms
-New Sway bar bushing/poly
-New Sway bar end links to fit lift
-New RC control arm drop brackets to allow lower control arms to be near parallel (stock config.)

10/31/2011
-New Moog tier rod ends, adjustment sleeve, and drag link

11/10/2011
-New IRO 6 degree shims for aligning rear axle to new double cardan drive shaft requirement
-New Falken Wildpeak 31” tires

5/5/12
-New Driver side upper/lower ball joints, Mevotech.
-New RC dropped pitman arm for fit dropped track bar angle.

8/14/13
-New rear Rubicon Express rear leaf springs (3.5”, to add to the 1-2” adjustable lift rear extended shackle, to achieve 4.5” lift height
-New Bilstein 5100 shocks (made for lifted vehicles, specified for my lift height)

12/20/2013
-New Driver Side-Axle to Upper Control Arm axle-side bushing (need to do passenger)
-New rear shackle relocation boxes (for optimum 45* rear shackle angle)
-Remanufactured Durango steering box at 160K miles
-New DS upper axle housing bushing

1/10/14
-New Timken DS/PS Wheel hub bearings assemblies.
-New PS wheel U-joint Moog

Last edited by Vincenza V; 02-04-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
It is a 4.5" Control arm drop bracket, on RC x-flex SA's, RC track bar and bracket, drop pitman arm.

Good to hear i's not normal. Beginning to lose all hope in this thing. I have an appointment Thursday to have the alignment checked for Caster. I did the "check it yourself with the diff cover" thing and it may be too little Caster? I got 5* positive I think.

I do have the stock steering, but added the grand cherokee tie bar because my old one was shot. But since the is only thicker, and doesn't change the angle of the dangle, basically-yes-stock steering. I added a NAPA reman'd Durango steering gear and C-rok spacer. Here is a list of all the steering/suspension replacements I have done. I did this all myself (Shadetree mechanic-Level 3(Lol)). This is my only experience with owning 4wd. I don't have any buddies with lifted toys to compare this XJ to.

Sidenote, the steering is really weird in that it seem that you are consciously counter steering. I seem to have to make an awful lot on minute corrections, vs. any other vehicle I've driven. I'll try an find a picture of my steering angle to track bar relationship. Last time I posted it up on here if I remember correctly, people said it wasn't that bad from what they could see from the pictures. This has been like this since I lifted it in the end of 11'. I have heard from some that at 4.5" the stock steering is near it's max as far as angles go. But PM'ing others that have done UTK upgrades, the didn't notice a huge improvement/difference on the street (Where mine spends 90% of it's lift). I just haven't heard enough of the testimonies to spend the $300+ to do it for a DD.

Cherokee suspension/steering work done:

10/19/2011
-New Zone short arm suspension lift
-New RC drop track bar and bracket for 4-6” lift
-New RC steering stabilizer
-New RUK Development 1” poly spacer for front coils
-New IRO slip yoke eliminator for rear drive shaft. Double Cardan drive shaft included
-New RC X-flex adjustable front upper/lower control arms
-New Sway bar bushing/poly
-New Sway bar end links to fit lift
-New RC control arm drop brackets to allow lower control arms to be near parallel (stock config.)

10/31/2011
-New Moog tier rod ends, adjustment sleeve, and drag link

11/10/2011
-New IRO 6 degree shims for aligning rear axle to new double cardan drive shaft requirement
-New Falken Wildpeak 31” tires

5/5/12
-New Driver side upper/lower ball joints, Mevotech.
-New RC dropped pitman arm for fit dropped track bar angle.

8/14/13
-New rear Rubicon Express rear leaf springs (3.5”, to add to the 1-2” adjustable lift rear extended shackle, to achieve 4.5” lift height
-New Bilstein 5100 shocks (made for lifted vehicles, specified for my lift height)

12/20/2013
-New Driver Side-Axle to Upper Control Arm axle-side bushing (need to do passenger)
-New rear shackle relocation boxes (for optimum 45* rear shackle angle)
-Remanufactured Durango steering box at 160K miles
-New DS upper axle housing bushing

1/10/14
-New Timken DS/PS Wheel hub bearings assemblies.
-New PS wheel U-joint Moog
I would guess that it's a combo of your alignment being off and having a garbage RC track bar. At 4.5" you shouldn't need a drop pitman arm. I would go back to the stock arm and a good track bar.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM

BNJeepsta-I can definitely try the stock pitman arm, I did save it. That is a simple swap.

I have also heard, well after I bought the RC stuff that it is crap. I did have the heim joint fail after 2-3 months. They replaced it and acknowledged they had a design flaw that was since fixed. I've looked at it since while having someone turn the steering wheel. I haven't seen any motion on it since. Is it still crap? How can it be bad if the joints aren't moving? Just trying to understand it from a scientific mindset. I hate when people bash by association without actually having experience with a certain brand and part. Not trying to be adversarial, just trying to understand before I throw more money at something to have the same effect.

I do have a rocking Left to Right sensation when hitting bumps, so maybe it's moving but I can't see it?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Bigger tire are gonna increase this also. jm2cw..
Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
Bigger tire are gonna increase this also. jm2cw..
They can, but I have no bump steer on 35's with 1 ton steering and no steering stabilizer.

I'd start with an alignment and put the stock pitman arm back on. My MJ drove fine with stock steering at 4.5" of lift, also on 31's (crappy RC lift with RE UCAs and RE track bar).
I'd ditch the steering stabilizer too, it does absolutely nothing if the steering is set up right.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd

They can, but I have no bump steer on 35's with 1 ton steering and no steering stabilizer.

I'd start with an alignment and put the stock pitman arm back on. My MJ drove fine with stock steering at 4.5" of lift, also on 31's (crappy RC lift with RE UCAs and RE track bar).
I'd ditch the steering stabilizer too, it does absolutely nothing if the steering is set up right.
This
Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
BNJeepsta-I can definitely try the stock pitman arm, I did save it. That is a simple swap.

I have also heard, well after I bought the RC stuff that it is crap. I did have the heim joint fail after 2-3 months. They replaced it and acknowledged they had a design flaw that was since fixed. I've looked at it since while having someone turn the steering wheel. I haven't seen any motion on it since. Is it still crap? How can it be bad if the joints aren't moving? Just trying to understand it from a scientific mindset. I hate when people bash by association without actually having experience with a certain brand and part. Not trying to be adversarial, just trying to understand before I throw more money at something to have the same effect.

I do have a rocking Left to Right sensation when hitting bumps, so maybe it's moving but I can't see it?
The track bars they use are hollow tube with a pretty thin wall. Perhaps they changed it but, I would feel much safer knowing that I had a larger, solid steel track bar. I've bought quite a few things from RC over the years and honestly, when I was still hitting easy trails and just getting a feel for jeeping, it was fine.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 PM

O.K., so on the agenda right now is to try the stock pitman arm. Will removing the RC steering stab improve anything, or hemp me trouble shoot the problem easier?

How does the trackbar/drag link relationship look in my pictures?

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Is this normal for a lifted Jeep?