Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No slip issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No slip issues.

I recently swapped in a used axle (d30) and swapped in my powertrax no slip locker. I didn't put new springs in because they hadn't showed up and I needed it back together. I got it aligned after the swap. I noticed that it's pulling to the left pretty bad when I'm on the gas but straightens out when I let off the gas. It doesn't really make sense due to the fact that it shouldn't be getting any power to it to make it unlock and lock since it's up front. I'm also hearing it clicking around tight turns sometimes. So I put the new springs in and did the to make sure it was working correctly and its not. The installation guide says to spin one tire forwards then hold. The other side should not spin in same direction only in the other but sometimes it does spin in same direction. The gap is good so I'm not sure what would be wrong.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 AM

Bump
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Anybody?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You will hear it clicking when you make a u turn or turn the wheel really sharp. Did you try the spin test to see if it is engaging properly or not?
TESTING THE LOCKER ASSEMBLY
This section assumes that your new Aussie Locker has been installed and that the complete differential
assembly is now in the vehicle with the tires installed.
1. Put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in 4WD to lock the drive shaft. Tires must be installed
to complete this test.
2. Rotate one of the tires until it stops against the locked drive shaft. Hold it in position and maintain
moderate pressure.
3. Rotate the other tire in the opposite direction. It should unlock and spin, with the locker clicking as the
tire rotates. Note that this sound will be less with the cover on and gear oil inside.
4. Rotate the first tire in the opposite direction until it stops, and again maintain pressure.
5. Rotate the second tire in the opposite direction from the first time. It should again unlock and spin with
the clicking sound.
6. Switch tires. Rotate and hold the second tire, and spin the first one in the opposite direction. Again switch
directions. Both tires should rotate in both directions and the locker should click as they are doing so.
7. If your installation passes this “spin” test, you are ready to finish up.

Doesn't seem like there's a problem to me. I have Aussie lockers in the front and rear of mine and it does some pretty strange things from time to time. As long as it clicks on the spin test and locks when in 4 wheel you should be fine.

Last edited by jmm0122_; 10-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
You will hear it clicking when you make a u turn or turn the wheel really sharp. Did you try the spin test to see if it is engaging properly or not?
TESTING THE LOCKER ASSEMBLY
This section assumes that your new Aussie Locker has been installed and that the complete differential
assembly is now in the vehicle with the tires installed.
1. Put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in 4WD to lock the drive shaft. Tires must be installed
to complete this test.
2. Rotate one of the tires until it stops against the locked drive shaft. Hold it in position and maintain
moderate pressure.
3. Rotate the other tire in the opposite direction. It should unlock and spin, with the locker clicking as the
tire rotates. Note that this sound will be less with the cover on and gear oil inside.
4. Rotate the first tire in the opposite direction until it stops, and again maintain pressure.
5. Rotate the second tire in the opposite direction from the first time. It should again unlock and spin with
the clicking sound.
6. Switch tires. Rotate and hold the second tire, and spin the first one in the opposite direction. Again switch
directions. Both tires should rotate in both directions and the locker should click as they are doing so.
7. If your installation passes this “spin” test, you are ready to finish up.
No slips do not make noise when working correctly. And the test is different for the no slip. I have an Aussie in the rear.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xjr10
No slips do not make noise when working correctly. And the test is different for the no slip. I have an Aussie in the rear.
Ah I over looked the type of locker you had. I would imagine any lunchbox locker be it Aussie or no slip will make some noise just by design, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone that has a no slip installed will chime in.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
Ah I over looked the type of locker you had. I would imagine any lunchbox locker be it Aussie or no slip will make some noise just by design, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone that has a no slip installed will chime in.
They are pretty much silent no matter what.