Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OE Leaf +2" shackles and spacers

Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New OE Leaf +2" shackles and spacers

Hey guys I've got a 00' that has a pretty rough ride in the rear. And to my best eye- It looks like my rear leaf springs are on their last leg. Bushings are all beat and it warps the opposite way.

I figured while I'm replacing stuff I'd go for a little budget lift. This is my game place:

Buy OE leaf springs ($109 a side) and then buy 2" shackles and spacers for the front..

Can anyone comment on this? Whether I should just replace some other things while I'm down there as well? From my understanding with only 2" of lift I should be okay with stock shocks, brake lines etc

All my control/pitman arms bushings Look great and are stock. I'm new to 4x4 and the jeep world but I'm learning a lot.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

If you're after ride quality I'd go with some good shocks. Bilstein, fox, old man emu. Bilsteins seem to be a crowd favorite. Not too bad of a price really, considering what crappy shocks cost.

Stock replacement leafs, extended shackle and a pair of shackle relocators will get the best ride out of the back. Extended shackles alone will more than likely make the shackle angle worse. Causing a harsher ride.

For example, I'm shooting for 2.5" lift. 30" tires. I have 2" OME coils, rear I'm going to make a bastard park with two sets of XJ leaf springs, hopefully for no more than an inch lift. Then extended shackles and shackle relocators for the rest of the lift.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixstroke
Hey guys I've got a 00' that has a pretty rough ride in the rear. And to my best eye- It looks like my rear leaf springs are on their last leg. Bushings are all beat and it warps the opposite way.

I figured while I'm replacing stuff I'd go for a little budget lift. This is my game place:

Buy OE leaf springs ($109 a side) and then buy 2" shackles and spacers for the front..

Can anyone comment on this? Whether I should just replace some other things while I'm down there as well? From my understanding with only 2" of lift I should be okay with stock shocks, brake lines etc

All my control/pitman arms bushings Look great and are stock. I'm new to 4x4 and the jeep world but I'm learning a lot.

Thanks!
stock leaf packs are weak. thats why you see stock xjs sagging all the time. then add a shackle on top of that... go with some old man emu 2" leaf springs. stock coil springs are soft. search around on different forums and see if you can find some 2" coils for cheap. i got my rustys ones for only $20 bucks. you can use stock shocks for a 2" lift. a lot of guys run some jk shocks. they work for a 2"-3" lift and can get a set of 4 of ebay for cheap or ask some local guys that have jks in your area about still having their stock shocks if they lifted theirs. plan on getting new leaf bolts also.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks!
If you want performance off road then you will need longer shocks. If you keep the sway bars connected then stock shock length is OK. I still would go longer for possible future mods.

My advice is to get new OE springs. And 1.5” shackle along with 1.5" angled blocks. 3" in the rear loaded with normal items and a passenger will set level with 2" in the front.

Another bit of advice. On the front spacers. If you get two inch spacers the instructions will tell you to ditch the stock spacer. If you do you will lose a half inch. So your lift will only be 1.5"
So keep the stock spacer in place and shoo goo between the two. Then you will get a full two inches.

I am on my second set of 3" coils in the front. And it rides like a truck. Wish I would have kept my stock springs and spacers.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by holycaveman
I am on my second set of 3" coils in the front. And it rides like a truck. Wish I would have kept my stock springs and spacers.
So, stock spacer + new spacer on stock springs ride best?

My plan at this point is:

New leaf springs, I'm told these net a 1.5" lift
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

These shackles, they look solid for the price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0021I6IUU

2" Spring Spacers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IVC9I6

Otherwise, I know I'll need a new rear main leaf eye bushing but aside from that and the above items I think (hope) I'll be done with her for a while. I plan on using the stock shocks till they're done.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

So, stock spacer + new spacer on stock springs ride best?

My plan at this point is:

New leaf springs, I'm told these net a 1.5" lift
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

These shackles, they look solid for the price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0021I6IUU

2" Spring Spacers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IVC9I6

Otherwise, I know I'll need a new rear main leaf eye bushing but aside from that and the above items I think (hope) I'll be done with her for a while. I plan on using the stock shocks till they're done.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Looks good..

On the spring spacers. Measure them. IF they are two inches, then leave the stock spacer in place. IF they measure 2.5". Then remove the stock spacer.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by holycaveman

My advice is to get new OE springs. And 1.5” shackle along with 1.5" angled blocks. 3" in the rear loaded with normal items and a passenger will set level with 2" in the front.

that is a bad idea for any vehicle. blocks are junk then add stock springs and shackles on top of them. good luck driving down the road and not having things break or fall apart.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by dogger15

that is a bad idea for any vehicle. blocks are junk then add stock springs and shackles on top of them. good luck driving down the road and not having things break or fall apart.
Here we go again...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jakbob

Here we go again...

X2 I wonder what's ging to happen
Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 ho

Originally Posted by jakbob

Here we go again...

X3
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 AM

Thanks guys

Either way, I'm not too interested in blocks.

Anyone think of anything else I might need?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Thanks guys

Either way, I'm not too interested in blocks.
Smart man...

You could just trim. Me and my buddy put 31" mud tires on a stock jeep. Just trimmed the fenders
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I built my own lift bastard pack with a Ford Ranger 2nd leaf from a payload package A, which netted 2.75" for the rear on stock shackles, and a perfect shackle angle. Used a 2" and a 5/8" spacer up front for exactly 2.5" lift over stock. Some JK Sahara shocks and it rides like butter. It rides really, really well and cost me $190 and a few hours time.