Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new motah!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 4.0 lt
Default new motah!!!

hey guys its been a long while haha. well last summer i ran my xj just a little too for with just a little too much wrong with it. needless to say by the end of the summer i had cracked the head/block/ and intake manifold. well i found a motor and im gonna put it in next weekend. (i dont need info on that ive done plenty of motor swaps) but i do need opinions.i have the doorless mod. and all my windows work. i was wondering if i should leave the A/C or take it out. my fiance says i should leave the A/C and never take the doors off again. (yea right) haha
also would you weld spider gears or just get lockers? and if i do weld em do i weld both sides or just one? like where the shafts meet?
also i know i prolly wont need it anytime soon but i love the way it looks. should i get a snorkel?
thank you for any and all suggestions/advice
Sno_Blynd
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Engine: 4.0

just spring for a locker. IU wouldnt bother with welding the spiders. yea and ditch the AC.. Convert the AC compressor into a belt driven air compressor to fill your tires.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Year: 96

Originally Posted by 565matt
just spring for a locker. IU wouldnt bother with welding the spiders. yea and ditch the AC.. Convert the AC compressor into a belt driven air compressor to fill your tires.

i have to agree, just spring for a lock rite ratcheting locker, pretty cheap and they work great, buddy of mine has one in his s 10 blazer and its there when you need it and not there when your turning on dry pavement.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 PM

i want a locker so i can turn on pavement. and i didnt know they had belt driven compressors. ill look into that
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM

well they dont sell any belt driven compressors but you can convert your AC compressor into an air compressor
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Depends on if you DD it or just wheel it.

If you DD it then leave the AC to keep your high class woman happy, slap loc-rite in the front and roll with it.

If you just wheel it. Leave the woman at home, put a spool in the front and rear and roll with it.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'm in the process of doing on-board-air, not to hard or expensive. I'll never have to pay for air at the gas station again. lol but my AC never worked right.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 PM

well heres the thing. its not really gonna be a dd. its gonna be my winter vehicle and people hauler. and a wheeler. my a/c works good but i have another vehicle that has better a/c. but the thing is when i wheel it i have to drive it to wherever im wheeling at because i dont have a tow vehicle or a trailer.

also is there anything i would need/want to check when doing the motor swap?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Year: 96

Originally Posted by Sno_Blynd
well heres the thing. its not really gonna be a dd. its gonna be my winter vehicle and people hauler. and a wheeler. my a/c works good but i have another vehicle that has better a/c. but the thing is when i wheel it i have to drive it to wherever im wheeling at because i dont have a tow vehicle or a trailer.

also is there anything i would need/want to check when doing the motor swap?

just in my opinion, depending on what year it is, i would drop the oil pan on the new motor your swapping in and replace the rear main seal while its out of the jeep, also you could do the oil filter adapter removal too, both are not that hard to do but will be a lot easier with the motor out of the jeep. just my .02