Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
New Modified Cherokee owner with some questions >

New Modified Cherokee owner with some questions

Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

New Modified Cherokee owner with some questions

Old 02-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default New Modified Cherokee owner with some questions

Hi guys/gals, I recently purchased a 2000 Cherokee and have a couple questions. It has a RE 7.5 long arm in the front, I was told the rear has 4.5 leafs , but it also has a 3Ē block 1Ē to 1-1/2Ē shackle and the shackle relocation box which adds another 1-1/2Ē . Thatís roughly 10Ē of lift in the rear. Iím thinking the leafs are stock. Itís sitting on 35-12.50-15ís on 15x10 wheels with 4:56 gears. My goal is to go down to 33ís and lower it a tad. The front is easy. Any one have any insight on the rear? Do they look like stock leafs?. I was thinking RE 3.5 leafs would get me where I wanna be without the blocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Model: Cherokee

Looks like 5.5 to me from pictures ! Need sway bar disconnects and I would have someone rebalance those tires I see weights in two locations which shows someone that was inexperienced balanced them . Rear blocks are highly frowned upon !
Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17 View Post
Looks like 5.5 to me from pictures ! Need sway bar disconnects and I would have someone rebalance those tires I see weights in two locations which shows someone that was inexperienced balanced them . Rear blocks are highly frowned upon !
Not worried about the tires right now as there is no vibration. Iíve been searching but not finding any info on spring length to measure the front springs to see what they actually are, no part No. on them. As for the blocks thatís what Iím trying to figure out what size leafs I need to get rid of the blocks.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Those are not stock rear springs judging by the arch in them. The springs themselves look like they have about 2" of lift in them. If that is the case, a 5.5" lift spring would do the trick and make any fine adjustments at the shackle